Train derailment in central Poland kills 1, injures dozensAugust 13th, 2011 - 10:54 pm ICT by BNO News
WARSAW, POLAND (BNO NEWS) — One person was killed on Friday afternoon and dozens more were injured when a passenger train carrying some 280 people derailed in central Poland, officials said on Saturday.
The accident happened at around 4.15 p.m. local time in the town of Baby near Piotrków Trybunalski, a city in Lodz province. The train, which was operated by the PKP company, had earlier left Warsaw at 2.04 p.m. local time and was scheduled to arrive in Katowice at 6.30 p.m. local time.
According to TVN24, the accident happened when all four carriages of the train suddenly derailed and overturned. Initial reports had indicated four people were killed, but officials only confirmed one fatality.
In addition, around 70 people on board were reported wounded, the five most serious which were airlifted to hospitals in Lodz, Sosnowiec, and Konskich. Uninjured passengers were transported to a nearby school.
However, officials said the death toll may rise since the overturned carriages have not been lifted yet, and police fear victims could still be trapped under the carriages. Police Brigadier Mariusz Konieczny said authorities were waiting on two trains to lift the fallen carriages.
While rescue dogs continue searching for possible trapped victims, prosecutors said investigations have been launched to determine the causes of the accident. Authorities are still working to determine where exactly the train derailed.
In August 1980, at least 67 people were killed and more than 60 others were injured when a freight train collided with a passenger train near Otloczyn, a village in north-central Poland. It remains the country’s deadliest train accident.
- Six killed as trains collide in Poland (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Train derails in Germany, 50 hurt - Sep 21, 2011
- Nine killed in Poland bus-train collision - Jul 31, 2012
- 14 killed in Poland train collision (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Train crash in South Africa kills 1, injures more than 80 - Apr 08, 2011
- Train derails in Taiwan; five women killed - Apr 28, 2011
- You run! It's okay if grandma dies: China train crash survivor - Jul 24, 2011
- 48 killed, hundreds injured in Argentinian train crash (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Six killed in Poland train collision - Mar 04, 2012
- 26 injured as Punjab Mail derails near Rohtak (Second Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Several killed in Argentinian train crash - Feb 22, 2012
- Train crash in South Africa injures more than 850 - May 20, 2011
- One killed, 20 injured in Thane train collision (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- 10 injured as Vidarbha Express rams into derailed local train - Jul 20, 2012
- Rescue effort on at China high-speed train crash (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: bno, brigadier, carriages, central poland, death toll, fatality, freight train, friday afternoon, initial reports, konieczny, mariusz, nearby school, passenger train, police fear, prosecutors, rescue dogs, train accident, train derailment, two trains, warsaw poland