Tourist dies in an Egyptian shark attackDecember 6th, 2010 - 7:50 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Cairo, Dec 6 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Egyptian authorities have announced that a 70-year-old German tourist has been killed by a shark in the Egyptian resort town of Sharm el-Sheikh.
The woman was killed after her arm was torn from her during the shark attack. The latest attack follows several of such cases of shark attacks in the area in five days. Immediately after the attack, two sharks were pulled from the waters around where the attack happened and killed.
The attacks have prompted the Egyptian authorities to close some of the beaches around the areas. The attacks have as such frightened most of the tourists that frequents the resorts.
Experts have blamed tourists for inciting the shark attacks. Tourists have been accused of throwing food into the waters to lure more fishes to come closer so that they may have a closer look at them. That unfortunately has also lured the sharks closer to the beaches as well.
Egypt’s Chamber of Diving and Watersports issued a statement following the incident. The statement blamed “illegal fishing or feeding in the area” for the attacks.
The attacks were blamed on the whitetip ocean sharks that were lured onto the beaches.
- Four tourists mauled by shark at Egyptian resort - Dec 02, 2010
- German tourist dies after facing a shark attack in Egypt - Dec 06, 2010
- French tourist killed in Egypt - Jan 29, 2012
- Egypt pays $50,000 to Russian tourist for shark attack - Feb 15, 2011
- Shark kills elderly German tourist of Egyptian resort - Dec 06, 2010
- Mubarak, two sons detained for 15 days (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Prosecutors quiz Mubarak, wife - May 12, 2011
- Mubarak's wife in ICU after heart attack (Lead, changing dateline) - May 14, 2011
- Sharm El Sheikh, Mubarak's new home - Feb 12, 2011
- Mubarak hospitalised during questioning: state TV (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Mubarak trial demanded by protest victims' kin - Jun 25, 2011
- Mubarak's sons questioned over violence against protesters, corruption allegations - Apr 13, 2011
- South Korean tourists abducted in Egypt - Feb 11, 2012
- Mubarak to be taken to Cairo for trial - Jul 28, 2011
- Mubarak has second heart attack after being detained (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2011