Tour bus accident northwest of Tokyo kills 7, injures 39April 30th, 2012 - 3:26 am ICT by BNO News
TOKYO, JAPAN (BNO NEWS) — A tour bus carrying dozens of tourists heading for Disneyland near the Japanese capital of Tokyo crashed into a wall along an expressway on early Sunday morning, killing seven people and injuring many more, police said.
The accident happened at around 4:40 a.m. local time when the bus slammed into a 3-meter (9.8-feet) high wall on the Kanetsu Expressway in Fujioka of Gunma Prefecture, about 85 kilometers (52 miles) northwest of Tokyo. Video from the scene showed the vehicle crashed into a roadside wall at the beginning of a small overpass, slicing most of the bus in half.
Gunma prefectural police said the bus, which was owned by bus company Hariu Express and was carrying the bus driver and 45 Japanese passengers, had left the city of Kanazawa in Ishikawa Prefecture at around 10 p.m. local time on Saturday. There was no relief driver on board.
Officials confirmed seven passengers were killed, including six young women and one middle-aged man. Everyone else on board the bus, including the bus driver and the 38 remaining passengers, were injured in the accident. At least thirteen of the injured passengers sustained serious injuries.
Most of the passengers on board the bus were going to Tokyo Disneyland.
Investigators said no tire marks were found at the scene, and 43-year-old bus driver Kazan Kono admitted to falling asleep behind the wheel. Police plan to question Kono on suspicion of manslaughter caused by negligent driving, but no charges were immediately filed.
- Seven dead, 38 hurt in Japan accident - Apr 30, 2012
- 13 dead in China road accident - Apr 22, 2012
- Bus accident in northern Pakistan kills 6, injures 23 - Jan 17, 2012
- 16 killed, 21 injured in road accident in Tibet - Mar 15, 2011
- At least 21 killed in Zimbabwe bus accident - Apr 17, 2012
- 21 dead in China road accidents - Jan 12, 2011
- China bus accident toll reaches 18 (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Mumbai woman killed in US bus accudent - Aug 04, 2012
- Four killed in China bus crash - Feb 01, 2012
- 40 hurt as bus falls off Chennai flyover - Jun 27, 2012
- 13 killed in China road accident - Jan 03, 2012
- Pakistan: Seven passengers die after bus driver falls asleep - Apr 12, 2012
- 17 killed in road accident in east China - Aug 06, 2011
- Afghanistan: At least 53 killed after bus crashes head-on with tanker in Ghazni - Sep 17, 2012
- Truck crashes into passenger bus in southern Vietnam, killing 10 - Nov 07, 2011
Tags: bno, board officials, board the bus, bus company, bus driver, fujioka, japanese capital, kanazawa, kazan, manslaughter, middle aged man, negligent driving, overpass, police plan, prefectural police, prefecture, tire marks, tokyo disneyland, tokyo japan, tour bus accident