Touchdown Jesus Statue Struck By LightningJune 15th, 2010 - 6:39 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Monroe, June 15, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The famous “Touchdown Jesus” statue which has amazed many travelers taking the Interstate 75 road is no more in its place.
The statue that was placed before the evangelical Solid Rock Church in Monroe, north of Cincinnati, was struck by lightning on late Monday night that left behind only the steel frame.
Being made of fiberglass, foam and plastic all of which are highly combustible, it did not take much time for the lightning to cause havoc on the statue. The fire was not restricted to the huge statue only. It affected an amphitheater that lies next to it. However it could not cause much damage to the place as people were able to restrict the fire to the attic.
The sculpture of the Touchdown Jesus boasted a height of 60 feet and a width at the base of 40 feet. Installed in 2004, it has since then remained one of the famous subcultures of the state.
The sculpture shows lord Jesus from his torso up with his hands stretched out towards the sky and his face lifted as well. Back in 2004, it took $250,000 to make the statue, according to reports. It is still unclear whether the statue can be built again at the same place as only the steel frame has not been gutted by the fire.
The Police Chief Mark Neu has said to media sources that nobody was injured by the fire. The fire department is scheduled to give an estimate of the loss that has been caused by the lighting on Tuesday.
However, the burning of the statue has left people of Ohio shocked and saddened.
- Lightning-struck 60ft Jesus statue in Ohio burns to ground - Jun 16, 2010
- Touchdown Jesus Fire Leads To A Loss Of $700,000 - Jun 16, 2010
- Touchdown Jesus statue struck by lightning - Jun 17, 2010
- Ohio's Famous 'Touchdown Jesus' Statue Burned To Ground By 'Act of God' - Jun 15, 2010
- Donations pour in for new Jesus statue that was destroyed in lightning - Jun 17, 2010
- 'Touchdown Jesus' near Monroe, Ohio on fire after lightning strike - Jun 15, 2010
- 'Touchdown Jesus' To Be Replaced by 'Come Unto Me' Statue - Nov 02, 2010
- Poland set to unveil world's tallest Jesus statue - Nov 07, 2010
- Solid Rock Chapel unveils their 'Come Unto Me' statue - Nov 03, 2010
- 'Act of God' Destroys Jesus Statue, Original Artists Offers to Make New One - Jun 17, 2010
- Only pilots' expertise saved Qantas A380 from disaster following mid-air explosion - Dec 03, 2010
- 'Pornographic' sculptures in Shanghai hotel - Mar 22, 2012
- Tiger conservation project promoted by Rashtrapati Bhawan - Dec 22, 2010
- Woman finds Statue of Liberty sexually fulfilling - Jul 22, 2012
- Fire in Srinagar hotel, nobody hurt - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: cincinnati, fire department, havoc, interstate 75, jesus statue, kar, left behind, lighting, lightning, lord jesus, media sources, meena, monday night, police chief, sculpture, solid rock church, steel frame, subcultures, torso, touchdown jesus