Tornado Hits Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan And Staten IslandsSeptember 17th, 2010 - 8:10 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Sep 17, (THAINDIAN NEWS) A powerful but brief storm hit Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan and Staten Islands on Thursday evening. In spite of the warning being sounded for just 7 minutes after 5:41 pm, the storm was strong enough to cause some serious damage to property. The National Weather Service said that the tornado touched down near Staten Islands which saw wind speeds of up to 70 mph. The other places saw wind speeds go up to 60mph and people were asked to stay in the lowest floor or basement of their houses. They were also asked to stay away from the windows as much as possible during the storm.
During the storm the sky turned greenish and heavy rains and hail pelted on the city. Several trees were uprooted and the traffic was obstructed badly in some areas. There were also some accidents and the damage to property reported in the are where the storm occurred. The people in vehicles were asked to find the closest possible shelter outside their cars.
There are reports that a roof was blown off from a building in Brooklyn and trees have fallen on some cars in the Queens and Brooklyn where some passengers were also stuck in their cars in some cases. All Long Island Rail Road Services from Manhattan and Brooklyn were suspended due to trees falling on the tracks. Reports suggest that the firefighters in the area had to report at several places where the people got stuck due to the storm. The actual damage caused will be visible on Friday morning. One electricity company has revealed that more than 570 homes had power outage in the Brooklyn area due to the storm.
- Tornado-like storm wreaks havoc in New York City killing one, destroying buildings - Sep 17, 2010
- New York Rattled By Severe Storm - Sep 17, 2010
- Hurricane Irene slams US, millions brace for storm's fury (Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- 7 killed in Dundee tornado - Jun 07, 2010
- Tornado Rips Through Dundee, Creates Havoc - Jun 07, 2010
- Orange County Tornado Brings Life To A Standstill - Jan 20, 2010
- Tornado Collapses Normal Life In Dundee, Michigan - Jun 07, 2010
- Thunderstorm briefly prompts New York City tornado warning - Aug 28, 2011
- Scientists inspect Haryana's rare tornado site (Lead) - Jul 24, 2010
- Heavy storm moving toward US East Coast leaves 17 dead - Apr 17, 2011
- Tornados hit US' South & Midwest - Jan 23, 2012
- New York adds 6,200 more hotel rooms - Mar 30, 2011
- Weakened Irene causes little damage in New York - Aug 28, 2011
- Storms Rip Through Chicago - Jun 19, 2010
- Tornado In Flagstaff Causes Mayhem - Oct 07, 2010
Tags: accidents, brooklyn, brooklyn area, brooklyn queens, electricity company, firefighters, friday morning, hail, heavy rains, kar, long island, long island rail, long island rail road, manhattan, national weather service, power outage, sky, spite, tornado, wind speeds