Tomorrow is Eid ul-FitrAugust 30th, 2011 - 1:45 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Mecca, Aug 29 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The confusion on when the Eid ul-Fitr will begin seems to have been settled. Saudi officials have announced that the end of the month of Ramadan is Tuesday and not Wednesday as some argue. The announcement was made on Monday in a statement which was read on the Arab network Al-Ekhbariyah.
Islamic leaders in Saudi Arabia announced the sighting of the new moon on Monday. Subsequently, Monday will be the end of the fasting period. Under Islamic customs, the next day after the end of Ramadan is observed as the Eid ul-Fitr.
Muslims around the world are required to fast for a period of time known as the Ramadan. During the period, all Muslims are urged to stay away from food, water, sex, alcohol and other carnal things at certain times of the day.
After the period the end of the fast needs to be marked by observing the next day as Eid ul-Fitr. The Muslim calendar is a lunar one so the sighting of the moon is crucial to determine the times.
Saudi Arabia is the holiest nation in Islam. The country has several holy shrines which attracts millions of Muslims from all over the world each year.
- UAE moon sighting committee to meet Aug 29 - Aug 23, 2011
- Iranian supreme leader pardons over 1,200 prisoners - Aug 29, 2011
- Muslims observes Ramadan with prayers at mosques - Aug 12, 2010
- Pakistan to celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr Saturday - Sep 10, 2010
- Ramadan, Eid-ul-Fitr dates forecast in UAE - May 12, 2012
- Pakistan celebrates Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Shia Muslims to celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr on Monday - Sep 20, 2009
- Eid-ul-Fitr to be celebrated on Saturday - Sep 10, 2010
- Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in Odisha - Aug 20, 2012
- Muslims across India offer prayers on last Friday of Ramadan - Sep 03, 2010
- Old Hyderabad never sleeps for Eid shopping (Letter from Hyderabad) - Aug 16, 2012
- Obama sends out Eid-ul-Fitr greetings to Muslims - Sep 10, 2010
- UAE charity to pay for deportation of 200 inmates - Sep 06, 2010
- Eid celebrated in Delhi - Aug 31, 2011
- People all over the world are celebrating the end of Ramadan - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,