Tomorrow 31st May is ‘Memorial Day’May 30th, 2010 - 9:09 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington DC, May 30 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Tomorrow the 31st of May is the Memorial Day. It used to be earlier known as Decoration Day, and the goal of this day is to remember the sacrifices made by the US men and women who died, while they were doing their bit to protect the security of the country. It basically honors and commemorates all the military personnel who died while they were in active service. It is celebrated on the last Monday of the May and this year, it is on the last day of the month as well. As a mark of respect to the military personnel who laid down their lives, it is also a federal holiday in the United States.
The Memorial Day was first enacted when the government thought about honoring the Union soldiers of the American Civil War, but when the World War I happened, then it was expanded to include the military personnel who laid down their lives.
Memorial services and parades mark the day. And there are a number of parades lined up for tomorrow as well. The 66th Annual Memorial Day ceremony and parade would be held at the Maryland Avenue at 10:30 am. As part of the parade there would be drill teams, marching bands, community groups, military units. The parade would begin at the Martins Lane and the North Washington Street and would pass through Maryland Avenue and the Rockville Town Centre.
- Memorial Day Celebrations Engulf Nation - Jun 01, 2010
- PM pays homage to unknown soldier (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Information about Memorial Day closings - May 28, 2012
- PM pays homage to immortal soldier - Jan 26, 2012
- India remembers war heroes on 40th anniversary of 1971 war - Dec 16, 2011
- Delhi Police mark Commemoration Day parade - Oct 21, 2010
- Indian Army celebrates Kargil war Victory Day - Jul 26, 2011
- Memorial Day: Pass it On, Lest We Forget - May 31, 2010
- Dal Khalsa releases Operation Bluestar directory - Jun 05, 2012
- 2010 Veterans Day, What's Open, & Where Vets Are Being Honored - Nov 11, 2010
- Antony pays homage at Russian WW-II memorial - Oct 04, 2011
- Veterans Day 2010 To Be Celebrated On Nov 11 - Nov 08, 2010
- Indian soldiers and 188.8.131.52 connection in Belgium - Nov 13, 2011
- Oldest Medal of Honor recipient - Lt. John Finn dies - May 28, 2010
- Ninth 9/11 anniversary marked by controversy as relatives gather - Sep 11, 2010
Tags: active service, american civil war, community groups, decoration day, doing their bit, federal holiday, last monday, marching bands, martins, memorial day, men and women, military personnel, military units, north washington street, parades, sacrifices, union soldiers, united states, washington dc, world war