Toddler Dies In Russian Sewer System TragedyJanuary 10th, 2012 - 9:56 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New Jersey, Jan 10 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A mother in Russia watched helplessly as her 18-month-old baby was swept into an underground sewer system in a bizarre accident. The incident on Monday threatened to take the woman’s life as well but rescuers were able to save her life. The child though was not that lucky as rescuers fear he is dead.
The 26-year-old woman escaped the ordeal with minor injuries. Rescuers are still searching for the remains of the baby who was sitting in a pushchair when the incident happened.
Police say ruptured water pipe under the road force the road the collapse. That opened up a gaping hole in front of them. The police say they are treating the case as a homicide and have since commenced investigation into it. They suspect that shoddy construction is to be blamed for the accident.
The mother, the wife of a police officer, is currently at the intensive care unit where she is receiving treatment following the shock that she went through.
Rupture underground pipes often open up roads in Russia. The pipes carry hot water so when they burst, they can cause the road to collapse with it.
The incident happened on Monday.
- Scalded woman fighting for life - Apr 05, 2012
- Jordan Landon survives for two days in a car wreck with his dead father - Nov 16, 2011
- Child brings in crack drugs to a 'show and tell' show at school - Sep 21, 2011
- Taj sparkles in rain, Agra totters (Letter from Agra) - Aug 29, 2012
- Seven trapped Chinese miners found alive - Nov 19, 2011
- 11-month-old Oliver Denning drowns while bathing - Jan 10, 2011
- Tabby mauls baby, leaves her with savaged face - Aug 28, 2012
- 53 rescuers pulled out of southwest China mine, 5 workers trapped - Jul 29, 2012
- Rescuers struggle to save buried workers in Punjab (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Suspect in the Atlanta officer killing case denied bail - Jan 27, 2012
- Russian cop couple drown in sewer - Jun 14, 2012
- British mother jailed after son drowns in bathtub - Jul 31, 2012
- 65 die as quake ravages New Zealand city (Third Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Wheelchair bound man hit by BART - Nov 01, 2010
- Woman dies after jumping from metro station terrace - May 04, 2012
Tags: bizarre accident, collapse, gaping hole, homicide, hot water, intensive care unit, minor injuries, month old baby, old woman, ordeal, police officer, pushchair, rescuers, russia, shock, shoddy construction, tragedy, underground pipes, underground sewer system, water pipe