Today is the “Presidents’ Day”February 20th, 2012 - 8:17 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Feb 20 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Americans celebrate the Presidents’ Day on the 20th of February 2012. The day is used to mark the birthday of America’s first President George Washington which falls on the 22nd of February.
Ironically, the Presidents’ Day never falls on the birthday of Washington. The day always fall between the 15th and the 21st of February each year. The day has been marked since the early 1950s when Southern Californian Harold Stonebridge Fischer started a campaign.
He formed the Presidents Day National Committee and led the organization for two decades. The initial day used to honor the presidents in the United States was the 4th of March but the day was changed in 1971.
Different states find ways to honor individual presidents. The San Diego reports that, “In Alabama, the third Monday in February honors the birthdays of Washington and Thomas Jefferson, never mind that the latter was born in April. The third Monday in February is George Washington’s Birthday and Daisy Gatson Bates Day in Arkansas and is an official state holiday.”
It was President Nixon who decreed that the third Monday in February should be set aside as a special day to honor the presidents.
- Today is George Washington's birthday - Feb 22, 2012
- Exhibition chronicles Gandhi-King ties - Feb 02, 2012
- Today is World Teachers' Day 2011 - Oct 05, 2011
- Corpse Of The Legendary Chess Player, Bobby Fischer, Disinterred In Iceland - Jul 06, 2010
- A Study Divulges That Thomas Jefferson Was Not A Clandestine Royalist - Jul 04, 2010
- A rising China good for US: Clinton - Mar 08, 2012
- Today is Marine Corps' 236th birthday - Nov 10, 2011
- U.S. astronaut Neil Armstrong's funeral planned for Friday - Aug 28, 2012
- South Africa celebrates Nelson Mandela's 93rd birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- 2010 Veterans Day, What's Open, & Where Vets Are Being Honored - Nov 11, 2010
- US-India ties will remain clouded by Pakistan (IANS Book Review) - May 29, 2010
- New opera to portray Bill Clinton's 'difficult childhood' - Jul 13, 2010
- Columbus Day closings: State offices closed - Oct 10, 2011
- Book says Richard Nixon had gay liaison with banker - Dec 29, 2011
- Martin Luther's statue to be unveiled alongside Lincoln, Jefferson replicas in Washington - Feb 18, 2011
Tags: 1950s, birthdays, daisy gatson bates, decades, first president, fischer, gatson, george washington, national committee, president george washington, president nixon, presidents day, san diego, southern californian, state holiday, stonebridge, thomas jefferson, united states