Today is the 43rd death anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.April 4th, 2011 - 8:16 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Memphis, April 4 (THAINDIAN NEWS) On the 43rd anniversary of the death of Martin Luther King Jr., new images has appeared on the Internet of his killer. James Earl Ray, who was arrested just days after the civil rights advocate was gunned down, died in 1998 while still in prison.
King was shot and killed on the 4th of April 1968. He was killed in Memphis, Tennessee while standing in the balcony of the Lorraine Motel. Police later picked Ray up for pulling the trigger. He was 70 and in the middle of fighting to be free when he died in 1998. Ray’s death has failed to close the chapter on his importance to the world.
Never-seen-before pictures of Ray have emerged on the Internet. The pictures were reportedly spotted in a warehouse among things belonging to ray. The warehouse contained old county records and the discovery was made in 2007.
King is largely remembered for pushing for the rights of blacks in the United States. When Barack Obama eventually rose to become the first black President of the United States, many people credited that feat with what King started back in the 1950’s and 60’s.
- Jackman plans movie on Martin Luther King - Aug 02, 2012
- Late "Original Civil Rights Photographer" Ernest Withers Was An FBI Informant? - Sep 15, 2010
- Rights activist Cornel West arrested - Oct 17, 2011
- Samuel L. Jackson 'heads to Broadway to play Martin Luther King Jr' - May 27, 2010
- Exhibition chronicles Gandhi-King ties - Feb 02, 2012
- Martin Luther King's trusted civil rights photographer was FBI informant - Sep 15, 2010
- Ronald Harwood to script Martin Luther biopic for Dreamworks - Jan 20, 2010
- Martin Luther's statue to be unveiled alongside Lincoln, Jefferson replicas in Washington - Feb 18, 2011
- Fake Martin Luther King Jr. quote goes viral on the Internet - May 04, 2011
- Norah Jones inspired by Elvis - Apr 30, 2012
- Legacy of Martin Luther King Jr lives on in India: Expats - Jan 17, 2011
- Civil rights activist Dorothy Height dead at 98 - Apr 20, 2010
- Television pioneer and CBS executive Don Hewitt dies - Aug 19, 2009
- Apple co-founder Steve Jobs died of respiratory arrest, death certificate shows - Oct 11, 2011
- Fred Shuttlesworth dies at the age of 89 years - Oct 06, 2011
Tags: 4th of april, april 4, balcony, barack obama, civil rights advocate, death anniversary, death of martin luther king, death of martin luther king jr, discovery, first black president, james earl ray, lorraine motel, martin luther king, martin luther king jr, memphis tennessee, new images, president of the united states