Today is ‘Talk like a pirate day’September 19th, 2011 - 10:53 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, Sept 19 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Nowadays you get to wonder if there are any other days left on the calendar which hasn’t been set aside to mark a thing. If no one has told you yet, then I have the singular honor to inform you that today is Talk Like A Pirate Day! How do you celebrate the day?
It is pretty simple. Just open your mouth and talk like a menacing pirate and you are observing the day. If you are not sure how to do so, then you might consider visiting this website. They have the English to pirate system which translates every word spoken to pirate language, Arrrrrrrh!
The day started as a joke between two friends in on the 19th of September 1995. The two friends, John Baur and Mark Summers contacted Pulitzer Prize winning humor columnist Dave Barry with their idea for the day to become a public holiday. They have since been promoting it and several people have bought the idea.
Facebook users are encouraged on the day to use the pirate language for their communications.
The holiday is in the league of such days like International Tell a Joke Day and Taste a Beer Day which all observed at certain times of the year.
- Tomorrow is 'Talk like a Pirate Day' - Sep 18, 2009
- Ahoy! Today is 'Talk Like a Pirate Day 2010!' - Sep 19, 2010
- Happy Talk like a Pirate Day 2009 - Sep 19, 2009
- Today is talk like a pirate day!!! - Sep 19, 2008
- Cheers! Today is International beer day - Aug 05, 2011
- Pringles inventor Fredric J. Baur buried in Pringles can - Jun 11, 2011
- New app to get you out of the house in pajamas (The Funny Side) - Sep 07, 2012
- Today is George Washington's birthday - Feb 22, 2012
- 'Teri Meri Kahaani': Uninteresting story, flat jokes (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Jun 23, 2012
- Humorist Dave Barry recounts his TSA pat down ordeal - Nov 17, 2010
- Tampa, FL woman found dead, two arrested for lying to officers - Apr 10, 2010
- Laughter lights up our faces, brains - Jun 29, 2011
- Our 'Rashtriya English' legitimate: Jug Suraiya - Sep 30, 2011
- This year's best 'dumb criminal' tales so far (The Funny Side) - Aug 17, 2012
- Jews all set for parties as Hanukkah begins - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: columnist dave barry, dave barry, friends john, humor columnist, john baur, joke, mark summers, open your mouth, public holiday, pulitzer prize, singular honor, talk like a pirate, talk like a pirate day, two friends