Times Square Shooting Leads To A Street Peddler’s DeathDecember 11th, 2009 - 8:45 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
New York, Dec.11, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Square witnessed a violent shooting incident on Thursday when a street peddler was shot dead by an undercover police officer. The incident took place during the busy hours when Times Square was crowded by shoppers and tourist more so because of the upcoming festivities of Christmas. The peddler has been identified as 25 year old Raymond Martinez who hails from Bronx and was also wanted in an assault case.
It was later revealed that Sergeant Christopher Newsom identified the peddler and asked for his identification proof. On being approached by the cop, the peddler started running away and started firing from his machine pistol. Supposedly, he fired two shots but later his gun got jammed. However, this forced the sergeant to fire back at him and this resulted in the peddler being hit in his chest and arms. The encounter left the peddler dead although the sergeant did not suffer any severe injuries. At the same time, the violent encounter left the tourist and the shoppers shocked with window panes of nearby shops getting completely crashed. Although, initially following the incident the adjoining area turned a bit tense but few hours later everything came back to normal.
Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly later revealed that Sergeant Christopher Newsom is part of the Midtown South Precinct peddler unit that keeps a track of panhandling. As a result, he could easily identify Raymond Martinez as an unlicensed seller who along with his brother was trying to fool tourist by convincing them to purchase CDs.
- Times Square Shootout Results In Street Vendor's Death - Dec 12, 2009
- Gunman injures four in Detroit police precinct - Jan 24, 2011
- No evidence to back Taliban's New York bomb claim: Police (Lead) - May 03, 2010
- Agitators beat up Kolkata traffic sergeant - Jul 04, 2010
- Eight killed in Karachi - May 06, 2012
- US official to be charged with murder: Pakistani police - Feb 11, 2011
- Three, including ANP activist killed in Pakistan - Mar 28, 2011
- Lahore shooting: US asks Pakistan to intervene - Jan 29, 2011
- Shooting In Detroit Police Station Leaves Four Officers Injured - Jan 24, 2011
- Raymond Davis was CIA agent deployed in Pak 'beyond shadow of doubt': Intelligence - Feb 21, 2011
- Dozens arrested after shootout at New York auto show - Apr 06, 2010
- Teens shot at a birthday party in Bronx - May 10, 2010
- Black Friday deal hunters in US turn violent - Nov 26, 2011
- Drug addict found eating man's face in US - May 29, 2012
- "Batman" Impersonator Arrested By Los Angeles Police For Panhandling - Jun 05, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,