Three-time champion defends his title at Nathan’s world famous hot dog eating contest in New YorkJuly 5th, 2010 - 2:34 am ICT by BNO News
CONEY ISLAND, NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) – The annual International Federation of Competitive Eating (I.F.O.C.E) Nathan’s International July Fourth Hot Dog Eating Contest, the world most famous hot dog eating contest, was held on Sunday at Coney Island in New York City where three-time champion Joey “Jaws” Chestnut defended his title by eating 54 hot dogs in 10 minutes.
Chestnut, 26, is a 218-pound engineering student who is more prominently known as currently being ranked first place by the I.F.O.C.E. In 2007, he beat six-time defending champion Takeru “Tsunami” Kobayashi by eating 66 hot dogs (including the buns) in 12 minutes, setting a world record. He won three times following that, including this year, in which he won in a landslide victory, as Kobayashi did not compete due to a contract dispute with Major League Eating, barring him from competing in contests sanctioned by other groups.
However, Kobayashi tried to go on stage after the competition. Police officers grabbed him, but he tried to keep his grip on to police barricades as they took him into custody. It was not immediately clear whether he would be charged or not.
The contest was televised by ESPN, who has held the broadcasting rights to the event since 2004. According to local legend, on July 4, 1916, four immigrants had a hot dog eating contest at Nathan’s Famous hot dog stand on Coney Island to settle an argument regarding who was the most patriotic. The contest has been held nearly every year since then.
- Hot Dog Eating Contest goes berserk after ex-champ creates havoc - Jul 05, 2010
- Joey Chestnut Wins International Hot Dog Eating Contest 4th Time - Jul 05, 2010
- Californian smashes hot dog eating world record by having 68 in 10 mins - Jul 05, 2009
- Man creates a record by eating 191 chicken wings in 12 mins - Sep 04, 2012
- Joey Chestnut wins the bratwurst eating contest - Sep 19, 2011
- Man gobbles 54 hot dogs in 10 minutes - Jul 05, 2010
- Man Eats 191 Chicken Wings in 12 Min - Sep 03, 2012
- Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest 2009 Results:Joey Chestnut Wins - Jul 05, 2009
- Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest Draws Crowd - Jul 04, 2009
- American man dubbed 'Jaws' crowned 'King of the Burrito' - Sep 13, 2010
- World hot dog chomping champ retains his crown after eat-off! - Jul 05, 2008
- American Female Wolfs 181 Chicken Wings In A Competition In Buffalo - Sep 07, 2010
- Virginia Woman Sonya Thomas Becomes Speed Eating Champion - Sep 06, 2010
- Ex- hot-dog eating champ fails to break fruitcake record - Dec 27, 2008
- Takeru Kobayashi reclaims world hamburger eating title - Sep 30, 2009
Tags: bno, buns, coney island new york, contract dispute, engineering student, espn, hot dog eating contest, hot dog stand, hot dogs, immigrants, international federation, jaws, landslide victory, major league, police barricades, police officers, time champion, time defending champion, tsunami kobayashi, world record