Three New Dog Breeds Added To AKC RegistryJune 30th, 2010 - 8:09 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
June 30, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): The American Kennel Club, known as AKC in short, has decided to add three new breeds to its registry. It will contain a total of 167 breeds now. The spokesperson for AKC, Christina Duffney, revealed that the dogs would henceforth be allowed to take part in competitions as well as other activities, sponsored by the AKC.
Speaking exclusively to TODAYshow.com, Christina said that the Icelandic sheepdog, Cane Corso and Leonberger would be able to exhibit their prowess at the prestigious ‘Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show’, next February. The dog show attracts millions of dog lovers and is held at the Madison Square Garden of New York.
The three breeds of dog may be new additions to the AKC’s list but have been around for years in reality.
The Icelandic sheepdog is believed to have settled in the island along with the first Vikings. They had been used extensively for herding cattle, sheep and horses. They are considered to be one of the oldest breeds in the world despite the AKC failing to recognize them until Tuesday.
The Cane Corso, on the other hand, is a relatively rare breed of dog. It went almost extinct before being brought back in the eighties, by a few concerned breeders. They belong to the family of mastiffs and possess a strong musculature. They had also been renowned as specialized hunting dogs and accompanied their Italian masters during hunting expeditions and war.
The third breed, the Leonberger, is undoubtedly pretty to look at. However, they have other qualities as well. They are adept at rescuing people in water and can be trained to jump out from the helicopters.
- New dog breeds recognized by AKC - Jun 30, 2010
- "Leonberger" Dog And "Cane Corso" Joins AKC Family - Jun 30, 2010
- American Kennel Club Welcomes Three New Dog Breeds - Jun 30, 2010
- American Kennel Club Recognizes Three New Breeds - Jan 29, 2011
- Labrador Retriever named America's top dog - Jan 27, 2011
- Over 400 dogs participate in Ludhiana's dog show - Nov 29, 2010
- Kashmir's Bakharwal dog could be gone in four years (Feature) - Apr 26, 2012
- Over 300 dogs participate in Amritsar show - Dec 20, 2010
- World's most expensive dog costs a million pounds - Mar 16, 2011
- Westminster Dog Show 2012 will showcase new breeds - Jan 25, 2012
- Hitler dog advert cleared as 'not offensive' - Mar 25, 2010
- Border collies top list of smartest pooches, Afghans dumbest - Sep 07, 2010
- Dogs overtaking cats as UK's favourite pet - Apr 03, 2011
- Chinese farmer claims sheep gave birth to 'puppy' - Mar 26, 2011
- Sadie Declared Winner Of National Dog Show 2009 - Nov 27, 2009
Tags: akc, american kennel club, breeds of dog, cane corso, dog breeds, dog lovers, hunting dogs, icelandic sheepdog, italian masters, leonberger, madison square garden, mastiffs, men at work, musculature, new additions, pen men, prowess, rare breed, westminster kennel club, westminster kennel club dog show