The World’s nicest prison is located in BastoyMay 25th, 2012 - 7:33 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Bastoy, May 25 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Opened in 1982, Bastoy prison, a summer-camp-like jail situated in the South of Norway.
More similar to tourist destination than a detention centre, in Bastoy prison there is no armed surveillance nor fences. The prison is located in a beautiful island of pine trees, a sauna, a gorgeous beach where the 115 convicts can sunbathe and enjoy fantastic views of the ocean.
The prisoners are also allowed to fish and play tennis in the jail’s sports facilities. Most the prison’s convicts are rapists, murderers, and drug dealers. They can have television on their cells and wear any clothes they want. Prison guards do not wear any kind of uniform.
Governments of a number of Nordic countries have estimated that 20% of Norway’s convicts reoffend within two years of being released from prison. This rate is lower at Bastoy Prison: approximately 16%.
These figures are much lower that those of US prisons, where the Pew Centre estimated in 2011 that 43% of all US prisoners reoffend within three years after they have been released.
All inmates work in the prison facilities, as gardeners, farmers, taking care of horses, cooking in the prison’s kitchen. All convicts receive a wage of 59 Norwegian kroner per day, approximately $10, which they can save or spend it the local store.
- 400 offenders in Britain raped again after release - Jul 16, 2012
- Norway's mass killer faces court hearing - Jul 25, 2011
- Britain bribes foreign prisoners to return homes - Nov 11, 2010
- Norway twin attack death toll climbs to 91 - Jul 23, 2011
- Norway to lift sanctions against Myanmar - Jan 15, 2012
- Dangerous prisoners in Britain to become hairdressers - Jan 27, 2011
- Bihar to have its first 'open jail' - Mar 05, 2012
- Paris sunbathers face jail for topless act - Aug 02, 2012
- British sex offenders to face mandatory lie detector test - Jul 20, 2012
- Convicted Jagir Kaur remains a VIP in prison - Mar 31, 2012
- Norway's killer could be jailed only 21 years - Jul 25, 2011
- Norwegian mass killer sentenced to 21 years in jail (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Ordeal ends for Norway NRI parents, uncle to get custody of kids - Jan 25, 2012
- India to Norway: Settle issue of Indian kids with family - Jan 23, 2012
- Norway attacker appears in court (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
Tags: beautiful island, convicts, fences, gardeners, gorgeous beach, inmates, local store, murderers, nordic countries, norwegian kroner, pine trees, prison facilities, prison guards, prisons, rapists, s sports, sports facilities, summer camp, taking care of horses, tourist destination