“The White Tiger” of Indian writer wins Man Booker PrizeOctober 15th, 2008 - 4:36 pm ICT by Bupha Ravirot
Indian origin author, Aravind Adiga, 33, won the 40th Man Booker prize on Tuesday night for his debut novel, “The White Tiger”. Grasp the award in London.
The White Tiger is an exploration of India’s class struggle told through the story of a village boy , ‘Balram Halwai’ who becomes the chauffeur to a rich man. It is considered to be one of the most interesting and energetic novels to appear this year. The novel is partly his own uncomfortable experiences.
Aravind Adiga was born in India in Chennai in 1974, grew up in Mangalore and spent his childhood partly in Australia. He studied at Columbia and Oxford. He began his journalistic career as a financial journalist, with pieces published in Financial Times, Money and the Wall Street Journal.
He worked as a correspondent for Time magazine in India before going to be a freelance and at the same time he started writing hi novel “The White Tiger”.
Adiga was considered the second-youngest writer in the 40 years of the competition to claim the £50,000 first prize as well as the second Indian origin novelist who win a debut novel – as Arundhati Roy did in 1997 with “The God Of Small Things”.
- India's Aravind Adiga wins Man Booker Prize for White Tiger - Oct 15, 2008
- Aravind Adiga's second novel to be out in 2011 - Oct 29, 2009
- India's Aravind Adiga wins Booker for debut novel (Roundup) - Oct 15, 2008
- Arvind Adiga wins Booker Prize with 'shocking tale' of Indian poverty (Lead) - Oct 15, 2008
- Aravind Adiga wins the Man-Booker-Prize for the year 2008 - Oct 16, 2008
- Indias Aravind Adiga wins Man Booker Prize 2008 - Oct 15, 2008
- 'The White Tiger' to be made into a film - Apr 17, 2009
- Rohington Mistry shortlisted for Man Booker International Prize - Mar 30, 2011
- Rohinton Mistry shortlisted for Man Booker International Prize (Lead, correcting name in intro) - Mar 30, 2011
- (After 11) Literature scene in India at a glance (To go with Literature: 2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 24, 2010
- After 'Slumdog' is it 'White Tiger' for the west? - Apr 23, 2009
- White Tiger raises Nepal's hackles - Jan 18, 2009
- Shiva Naipaul in longlist for Lost Booker Prize - Feb 01, 2010
- US novelist Philip Roth wins Man Booker International Prize - May 18, 2011
- Adiga gets invite from his Mangalore school - Oct 15, 2008
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,