The Queen of England Heads the List Of The World’s Largest Land OwnersJuly 28th, 2010 - 7:27 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
July 28, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): Buying land has always been considered as the safest way of holding on to your wealth. The names of land owners are regularly featured in the world’s richest list as well. A recent survey has revealed that Queen Elizabeth II is the world’s largest land owner now. The British monarch is the head of the United Kingdom and 31 other territories and owns an astounding 6,600 million acres of land worldwide. This is almost a sixth of the entire world without taking the oceans into consideration.
She is also the only one in the entire world to own countries which are not part of her domestic territory. This ownership is quite distinct from her status as the head of the state which is unique in its own way.
The total value of the land she owns is estimated to be £17,600,000,000,000 approximately. However, providing an actual estimate is difficult as there is no way of setting a value to entire countries. The value of the Queen’s land holdings vary from country to country as they are based on the local laws followed by the nation in question. However, the land title is valid in all the countries that she owns. The majority of her land holdings include Canada, Australia, Papua and New Guinea, New Zealand and her home country, the United Kingdom.
While she remains the largest land owner by a wide margin, the other prominent landowners of the world include, the state of Russia, the state of China and the United States of America respectively. The King of Saudi Arabia is the fifth largest who also occupies the second place behind the Queen as the largest personal land owner in the world.
Ted Turner, the founder of the CNN is also widely known as the largest private land owner in the US. His holdings are estimated at two million acres which is larger than Delaware and Rhode Island combined.
- Nicole Kidman's relatives are among largest landowners in the world - Mar 10, 2011
- Ted Turner aces the 'Forbes List of the World's Largest Landowners' - Jul 29, 2010
- Ted Turner Leads The List Of America's Largest Land Owners - Jul 28, 2010
- Queen Elizabeth keeps finances secret - May 06, 2012
- Bengal industry disagrees with land panel's recommendation - Jun 18, 2011
- Pakistan was world's 8th largest asylum-seeker in 2010 - Apr 01, 2011
- Now, a survey on status of Bihar's upper castes - May 06, 2011
- India, Bangladesh deal will bring prosperity: Meghalaya CM - Sep 09, 2011
- China discovers world's second largest molybdenum deposit - Jul 22, 2011
- Haryana approves land pooling scheme for farmers - Jul 20, 2012
- Land acquisition hampering embankment building in Sunderbans - Feb 29, 2012
- Farmers jubilant, but Mamata government has long haul ahead - Jun 27, 2011
- Mamata plans factory on 600 acres of Singur land - May 28, 2012
- Singur verdict people's victory: Mamata - Sep 28, 2011
- US trade body hails India's $4 bn Boeing order - Jun 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,