The Queen Elizabeth II 83rd birthdayApril 21st, 2009 - 1:41 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Today, the Queen Elizabeth II will mark her 83rd birthday at Windsor Castle, but she won’t have the day off work, Buckingham Palace said.
The queen’s London office said the monarch has nothing special planned or any public engagements scheduled, but she will probably go through the stack of official papers she receives as head of state. She has long done that every day of the year, except Christmas.
A royal salute will be fired at noon in Hyde Park in central London to mark the occasion by the King’s Troop of the Royal Horse Artillery. The queen’s birthday is celebrated twice a year; once privately, on her actual birthday, and again with an official national celebration in June.
The British monarchs have been celebrating their birthdays in June, since the 18th century. On Saturday, the Queen’s husband, Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, became the longest-serving consort in British history, surpassing the 57 years and 70 days that Queen Charlotte was the consort of King George III.
- Queen Elizabeth II visits Prince Philip in hospital - Jun 07, 2012
- 90-year-old Prince Philip regrets leaving naval career - May 17, 2011
- Prince Philip becomes the longest serving royal consort - Apr 18, 2009
- Queen's husband Prince Philip hospitalized due to infection - Jun 05, 2012
- Grand reception for President Patil at Windsor Castle - Oct 27, 2009
- Britain's Prince Philip turns 90 - Jun 10, 2011
- Elizabeth II becomes second-longest reigning British monarch - May 12, 2011
- Prince Philip hospitalised, misses jubilee concert - Jun 05, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth hosts diamond jubilee lunch - May 20, 2012
- Prince Philip celebrates his 90th birthday - Jun 11, 2011
- Thousands cheer Queen's Diamond Jubilee river pageant - Jun 04, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth II celebrates 84th birthday - Apr 21, 2010
- Tricolour flies in Windsor for Pratibha Patil - Oct 27, 2009
- Queen Elizabeth gets bleeding nose - Apr 15, 2011
- Prince Philip taken to hospital - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: british history, british monarchs, buckingham palace, central london, consort, duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, hyde park, king george iii, london office, national celebration, prince philip, prince philip the duke of edinburgh, public engagements, queen charlotte, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal horse artillery, royal salute, windsor castle