Texas Republican senator urges Juneteenth emancipation holidayJune 19th, 2012 - 5:10 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, June 19 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The proposed bill of the Texas Republican Kay Bailey Hutchison would establish June 19th as Juneteenth.
The senator’s staff according to reports, do not believe that there will be any opposition to the resolution, as it is not controversial.
41 states have already passed legislation designating a state observance of Juneteenth.
The Juneteenth tradition is still very strong, but numerous vendors and attendees of events marking the day all over across the nation have said that participation in this year’s event is much lower than that of past years’ events.
Juneteenth, also known as Freedom Day or Emancipation Day, commemorates the US’s African American heritage. It celebrates the official abolition of slavery in Texas in 1865. Unionist soldiers arrived at Galveston, Texas on June 19, 1865. They declared the end of the US Civil War, which meant that all slaves were to be freed.
According to organizers like, Latasha Massey, community projects specialist at the Johnson County Social Services and Juneteenth celebrations organizer in Iowa, claim that Juneteenth is now an event recognized all over the world, because slavery is a global concern and has existed in every single part of the world.
- Governor Rick Perry Retains Office In Texas Elections - Mar 03, 2010
- 'Lincoln tried to deport slaves to British colonies' - Feb 12, 2011
- Abraham Lincoln wanted to deport slaves to British colonies, reveals book - Feb 12, 2011
- Mel Martinez: Senator Resigns - Aug 08, 2009
- Obama-Dalai Lama meet undermines US as major power: Chinese daily - Jul 18, 2011
- North America's first Telugu meet to be held in Houston - May 17, 2012
- Pitt, Fassbender team up again - Oct 27, 2011
- Super Bowl 'a huge magnet for sex traffickers' - Nov 18, 2010
- Nearly 40,000 Brazilians victims of forced labour: ILO - May 14, 2011
- Tulisa talks about her 'secret arrest' in her book - Jun 18, 2012
- Nine southeast Texas residents charged with trafficking meth - Apr 16, 2010
- Jamaica celebrates its 50th independence anniversary - Jan 02, 2012
- UN General Assembly President Al-Nasser calls for end to 'modern-day slavery' - Mar 27, 2012
- America's 147-year-old Civil War message decoded - Dec 27, 2010
- Algae bloom kills nearly 1 mn fish in Gulf of Mexico - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: abolition of slavery, african american heritage, attendees, community projects, emancipation day, freedom day, galveston texas, global concern, johnson county, june 19 1865, juneteenth, juneteenth celebrations, kay bailey hutchison, massey, observance, republican senator, slavery in texas, texas republican, unionist, us civil war