Tests run on 20 new varieties of apples on the occasion of The National Apple DayOctober 20th, 2010 - 9:11 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
York, Oct 20 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The National Apple Day was marked at the Dales tearoom yesterday.
This year’s event was used to run free tests for about 20 varieties of Apples that are grown in the county.
There are several varieties of apple in the world. Currently, some 2000 of those varieties are grown in the United Kingdom.
On the occasion of the Apple Day, selected varieties get the attention. This year, two varieties of the fruit were featured.
Most of the varieties will be coming from Yorkshire Orchards. The orchard, which is family, owned is home to some 100 varieties of apple. The orchard was established by wilberfoss in the year 2002.
Stephen Hounsham and Lynn Thornborrow own the Dales tearoom. On the festival and apple varieties Mr. Hounsham said that, “There are well over 2,000 different varieties of apple that can be grown in England. But all too often the choice we’re offered in the shops is miserable Apple festivals are an opportunity to see just how exciting apples can be and we’ll be showing too that when it comes to taste, Yorkshire-grown apples can match the best.”
- Apple Varieties and How to Choose the Right One - Oct 21, 2010
- Mango madness: Over 600 varieties at Delhi fest - Jul 08, 2012
- A treat for Prince William on New Year's - Queen's cider - Jan 01, 2011
- Low yield in Asia's peach bowl fetches high price - Jul 10, 2011
- Cheers for cherry lovers with bountiful Himachal crop - May 27, 2012
- Himachal apple yield looks ruddy again - Jan 25, 2012
- Early Himachal apple varieties fetch high prices - Jul 16, 2012
- Dry spell may upset Himachal's applecart - Jul 25, 2012
- Extended chill hits Himachal's cherry production - May 30, 2011
- Himachal violated norms in importing fruit trees: CAG - Apr 12, 2011
- Snow cheers apple growers in Himachal - Jan 16, 2011
- Why some apples grow larger than others - Jul 01, 2010
- Ginger Gold apple promises bumper stock in Uttarakhand - Jul 05, 2010
- Poor yield makes Himachal apple business fruitful - Sep 09, 2011
- Pesticides To Control Stink Bugs Are Not Working Anymore, Farmers Say - Sep 20, 2010