Teen dancer paralyzed after ear piercing goes awry

November 12th, 2010 - 7:56 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt  

London, Nov 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A British teenager was left paralyzed after a piercing exercise went woefully wrong. Authorities say that when the 15-year-old dancer who had the piercing, developed a viral infection that left her paralyzed.

Hospital officials diagnosed her condition as Guillain-Barre syndrome. It is a rare immune disorder that can be deadly. She could only blink her eye on her hospital bed. Doctors say the disorder affects the nervous system of patients and that explains why she was unable to move any part of her limbs.

Grace Etherington faced the gloom prospect of spending the rest of her life in that state. Doctors told her devastated mother that Grace could remain motionless for the rest of her life. And worse still, she might have to stay on a life support for the rest of her life. Her mother couldn’t believe the news.

She said that, “It was a fate worse than death. She would be trapped in a lifeless shell”. It turned out the other way round though. Grace defied the scientific predictions and survived the condition. She has regained her strength back and she is moving again. She said that, “Being stuck in my body was horrible”.

However she has now recovered remarkably. And her recovery has been credited to an intensive physical therapy that started immediately after she was diagnosed with the condition in November of last year.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World News |

Subscribe