Teen attacked with machete over cellphoneJuly 19th, 2012 - 8:01 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Ohio, July 19 (THAINDAN NEWS) A 17-year-old was attacked with machete for refusing to hand over his cellphone to another teenager. Police say the attacker chased the victim and slashed him repeatedly at the back. The incident has left the victim at the hospital. The police have since taken one person to custody for the attack.
Officials say a suspect was found hiding under a car nearby when they responded to the call. He has been identified as 19-year-old Gajan Ponniah has since been charged with attempted murder and robbery. He is currently being held by the police as investigation continues.
Police say a bus came to the rescue of the victim. Hospital officials described his condition as critical. The bus driver reportedly activated his emergency button but that failed to get the Gajan from stopping the attack. He allegedly continued slashing the victim from the back but the bus was eventually able to drive the victim away.
Police say after investigation, they will arraign the suspect before court where prosecution is expected to start.
The incident has shocked several residents. The report failed to identify the victim. The incident happened on Wednesday night.
- 1 dead, in sports car crash in Delhi - Feb 19, 2012
- Four stabbed in US office building - Mar 15, 2012
- Family robs gas station - of chocolates, cigarettes - May 16, 2011
- Suspect arrested in McDonalds' transgender beating case - Apr 26, 2011
- Class 10 student dies in accident in Delhi - Jul 25, 2012
- 1 dead in sports car crash in Delhi (lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Unidentified gunmen attack Iranian bus in eastern Turkey, injuring 8 - Nov 16, 2011
- Gang Suspects Arraigned In NYC For Hate Crimes - Oct 11, 2010
- Cyclist crushed, six injured by bus in Delhi (Lead) - May 27, 2012
- Russian cops accused of filming prison sex - Jul 12, 2012
- Odisha assault victim's kin seek CBI probe - Mar 11, 2012
- Delhi police hunt for lead in teenager's murder (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Man crushed under police bus in Delhi - May 11, 2012
- Two young women attacked with blades in Delhi - Dec 05, 2010
- Chinese man appeals against death sentence for 116 rapes - Apr 19, 2011