Ted Kennedy is no more; Reactions galoreAugust 26th, 2009 - 4:47 pm ICT by IBNS
By Samrat Banerjee
Aug 26 (IBNS) US Senator Ted Kennedy is at peace. His suffering is over after losing a battle with brain cancer. He was 77.
He was the last of the storied band of brothers who appeared born to rule. He was regarded as the “liberal lion” of the Senate who was once tipped to succeed his assassinated brother John as president. He died late Tuesday at his home in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts.
Some of the reactions to the Senator’s death follows:
California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said: Maria and I are immensely saddened by the passing of Uncle Teddy. He was known to the world as the Lion of the Senate, a champion of social justice, and a political icon. Most importantly, he was the rock of our family: a loving husband, father, brother and uncle. He was a man of great faith and character.
Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin: I would like to extend our sympathies to the Kennedy family as we hear word about the passing of Senator Ted Kennedy. He believed in our country and fought passionately for his convictions.
Former President George H.W. Bush: While we didn’t see eye-to-eye on many political issues through the years, I always respected his steadfast public service - so much so, in fact, that I invited him to my library in 2003 to receive the Bush Award for Excellence in Public Service. Ted Kennedy was a seminal figure in the United States Senate - a leader who answered the call to duty for some 47 years, and whose death closes a remarkable chapter in that body’s history.
- Senator Edward Kennedy's death ends `historic' US chapter (Roundup) - Aug 26, 2009
- Edward Kennedy's Death Mourned By Republicans - Aug 26, 2009
- Statement from Governor Schwarzenegger regarding the death of Sen. Ed Kennedy - Aug 26, 2009
- Americans lost a great patriot: Speaker - Aug 26, 2009
- Senator Edward Kennedy dies at 77 (Lead) - Aug 26, 2009
- World leaders pay tribute to Ted Kennedy - Aug 26, 2009
- Kennedy eulogised at final farewell - Aug 30, 2009
- Edward "Ted" Kennedy: The US Senator Dies At 77 - Aug 26, 2009
- US Senator Kennedy passes away - Aug 26, 2009
- FBI files show that Ted Kennedy received threats - Jun 15, 2010
- FBI Files Divulge Death Threats On Ted Kennedy - Jun 15, 2010
- Kennedy's death brings end to historic chapter: Obama - Aug 26, 2009
- President Barack Obama's Remarks at Edward Kennedy's Funeral - Aug 29, 2009
- RIP Ted Kennedy: Lion of the Senate at peace - Aug 26, 2009
- Edward Kennedy to be buried in Arlington Cemetery Saturday - Aug 27, 2009
Tags: alaska governor, arnold schwarzenegger, brain cancer, brother john, bush award, california governor arnold, california governor arnold schwarzenegger, george h w bush, governor arnold schwarzenegger, governor sarah palin, great faith, hyannis port massachusetts, kennedy family, political icon, president george h w bush, seminal figure, senator ted kennedy, ted kennedy, united states senate, us senator ted kennedy