Taiwanese vegetable vendor is among Asia’s Nobel winnersJuly 26th, 2012 - 7:11 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Manila, July 26 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A vegetable vendor is among the winners of the Nobel price of Asia. Chen Shu-chu who is of Taiwanese origin was awarded by the Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation which is based in Manilla.
This foundation is an equivalent of the Nobel Peace organization. The vegetable vendor is said to be very involved in charity and she is said to have personally given 7 million Taiwanese dollars to charity. She is one of the six people who won the Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation awards.
The award was given to Chen Shu-chu for her big heart and the fact that she personally gave to help the needy. Chen Shu-chu is said to have only studied till the sixth grade.
She gives the income that she earns from vegetable vending to the poor. Chen Shu-chu has been able to build a library for children from her charity money. She has also been able to provide food and shelter to the less fortunate.
Chen Shu-chu says that money serves its purpose when it is used by those who need it. She also says that she feels happy and content when she helps those who are in need.
Those who won the award will have a ceremony held in the month of August in their honor and they will also receive 50,000 dollars each.
- Indian wins Ramon Magasaysay Award - Jul 26, 2012
- Indians Nileema Mishra, Harish Hande win Magsaysay Award (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Indians Harish Hande, Nileema Mishra win Magsaysay Award - Jul 27, 2011
- Bangladeshi wins Magsaysay award - Aug 03, 2010
- Self respect, not charity is our belief: Magsaysay winner - Jul 26, 2012
- 4 Indian women among Forbes Asian 'Heroes Of Philanthropy' - Mar 05, 2010
- Japan's anti-nuclear activist wins Ramon Magsaysay Award - Aug 02, 2010
- Hudson, Hendricks honoured for charity work - Sep 16, 2011
- Abdul Sattar Edhi: the salve on Pakistan's wounds - Dec 04, 2011
- The men and the woman behind Team Anna - Aug 28, 2011
- Magsaysay Award for Indian social worker, Myanmar activist, Filipino environmentalist - Aug 03, 2009
- Dead Fetus Found in Manila in Airplane's Bathroom - Jan 05, 2011
- Campbell to receive charity honour - Sep 16, 2011
- Mixed reactions to Yunus sacking - Mar 03, 2011
- Chinese scientist wins US award for malaria drug - Sep 15, 2011
Tags: asia, charity money, chu, foundation awards, heart, month of august, nobel peace, nobel price, nobel winners, peace organization, ramon magsaysay award, ramon magsaysay award foundation, shu, sixth grade, vegetable vendor, vending