Sven Koppler charged for smuggling tarantulas into the USDecember 5th, 2010 - 11:05 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, Dec 5 (THAINDIAN NEWS) German Sven Koppler has been charged with smuggling tarantulas into the US through the United States Postal Service. His modus operandi was very simple, as he used to pack the tarantulas into colored straws/plastic containers and then used to place them in boxes, which he then posted.
However the 37 years old Sven Koppler’s luck ran out when he arrived in US to meet his counterpart in the smuggling trade. He was welcomed by the United States Fish and Wildfire Service agents at the airport. He was immediately taken into custody when his plane landed at the airport.
“This will definitely have a significant impact on the tarantula trade, given the volume of tarantulas this guy was selling,” according to Mark Williams, who is an assistant United States attorney.
Later he was charged with 1 count of illegally importing wildlife into US. This count could land him into prison for a maximum of 2 decades and could also carry a fine of up to $250,000. Currently Koppler is in federal custody. The tarantulas that were sent through the US Postal Service have also been caught and they are going to be sent to the local zoos.
- Sven Koppler Admits Mailing Hundreds Of Tarantulas To U.S., Faces 20 Years In Prison - Jan 20, 2011
- German man admits to mailing hundreds of tarantulas to US - Jan 20, 2011
- German Resident Confesses His Mailing Of Hundreds Of Tarantulas, With Some Being Endangered Ones - Jan 20, 2011
- Sven Koppler arrested for sending hundreds of tarantulas to US - Jan 20, 2011
- Full-grown tiger skeletal seized in Guwahati - Jun 18, 2010
- Puma skin seized from parcel sent from US - Aug 15, 2010
- Airport Metro opens postal service counter - Apr 26, 2012
- Minneapolis Woman Charged With Animal Cruelty For Trying To Mail Puppy - Feb 02, 2011
- Government employees join strike in Chhattisgarh - Sep 07, 2010
- New rail link to connect Agartala with Bangladesh town - Mar 10, 2011
- San Fransisco, CA man sentenced to jail for smuggling endangered fish - Jan 23, 2010
- Jundal was planning another 26/11-type strike: Investigators - Jul 06, 2012
- Crime nexus forces Goa children's home to ban mobile phones - Apr 06, 2012
- Failed Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad sentenced to life in prison - Oct 05, 2010
- Six land mafia members arrested in Haryana - Nov 27, 2011
Tags: 2 decades, 37 years, according to mark, boxes, counterpart, federal custody, fish, plastic containers, significant impact, states postal service, straws, tarantula, tarantulas, united states attorney, united states postal, united states postal service, us postal service, wildfire, zoos