Suspected car bomb kills 3 in Turkish capitalSeptember 20th, 2011 - 10:15 pm ICT by BNO News
ANKARA, TURKEY (BNO NEWS) — Three people were killed on Tuesday morning and more than a dozen others were injured after a suspected bomb blast rocked the Turkish capital of Ankara, officials said.
The powerful explosion originated from a parked vehicle in Ankara, causing heavy damage to nearby shops and properties. Other vehicles which had been parked in the area near the explosion also caught fire and some were moved because of the force of the blast.
Turkish Interior Minister Naim Şahin, who spoke to the media shortly after the incident, confirmed at least three people had been killed while 15 others were injured, the Hurriyet Daily News reported.
Local authorities cordoned off the area, while emergency teams transferred the injured to different hospitals in Ankara. The bomb squad was also deployed to the scene, and while investigations are ongoing, a woman chanting slogans after the blast was arrested by police for questioning.
Although the exact cause of the explosion remains unclear, Şahin said that the probability that the incident was a terrorist attack was very high.
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Unidentified gunmen attack Iranian bus in eastern Turkey, injuring 8 - Nov 16, 2011
- Eight killed, 60 injured in Turkey blast - Aug 21, 2012
- Two dead, 14 hurt in Peshawar blast - Jul 01, 2011
- Turkey condemns Delhi bomb attack - Sep 10, 2011
- 13 held in Turkey for blast that killed nine - Aug 24, 2012
- Eight hurt as Iranian bus attacked in Turkey - Nov 16, 2011
- Four killed in Turkish military helicopter crash - Jul 23, 2012
- Turkey expels Israeli Ambassador and diplomats after UN flotilla report - Sep 02, 2011
- Four killed in factory explosion in Turkey - Feb 03, 2011
- 35 killed in twin bomb blasts north of Baghdad - Jul 05, 2011
- Bomb blasts in southern Thailand kill 3, injure dozens - Sep 17, 2011
- Blast kills one, injures others at Istanbul's main square - Oct 31, 2010
- 20 dead, nearly 200 wounded in Kabul fire - Jul 05, 2012
- Karachi blast kills one, injures 20 (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: ankara turkey, bno, bomb blast, bomb squad, car bomb, emergency teams, exact cause, explosion, interior minister, investigations, least three people, local authorities, naim, nearby shops, other vehicles, probability, slogans, terrorist attack, tuesday morning, turkish capital ankara