Surfer Stephen King has a lucky escape from shark attackDecember 12th, 2011 - 10:27 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Sydney, Dec 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A surfer believes he is the “luckiest” person in the world after a shark missed him just barely. Stephen King of NSW was left with only minor scratches and a damaged surfboard after the ordeal.
When the animal came biting, it missed King and instead bit a chunk of the surfboard. The 50-year-old says the incident happened on Sunday during a surf session off Back Beach at Angourie, near Yamba. The incident happened at six o’clock in the morning.
Speaking to the local media, King explained that, “Just as I was taking off, just jumping up, there was just a bang from the side. I went cartwheeling through the air and then there was just thrashing beside me.”
Incredibly, King and his partner never realized that a chunk of the board has been bitten until they got to the shore. He was treated for the minor scratches that he suffered on his legs.
The National Parks and Wildlife have warned surfers and beach goers that they need to recognize that the territory is that of the sharks so they should be careful when they go near.
Warning signs have been erected at the beach to warn of the danger.
- Shark kills surfer at Australian beach - Sep 04, 2011
- South African beach dubbed world's deadliest - Jan 16, 2012
- Surfer falls into shark jaws - Mar 22, 2012
- Santa Barbara Beaches Closed After Lucas Ransom's Death - Oct 25, 2010
- First Teaser Trailer Of Soul Surfer Hits The Web - Jan 12, 2011
- Boy Killed In Shark Attack At Santa Barbara - Oct 23, 2010
- French diplomat mauled by shark while kite surfing - Sep 12, 2011
- Australian surfer dies of shark attack - Jul 14, 2012
- Surfer Zoltan Torkos does a kickflip on a surfboard - Mar 10, 2011
- Man needs 300 stitches after shark attack - Jul 27, 2010
- Sydney beaches get rubber sharks to test patrol efficiency - Dec 22, 2010
- Lucas Ransom's Mother Remembers Her Dead Son - Oct 23, 2010
- Andrew Wilson Suffers Shark Attack While Swimming - Dec 20, 2010
- Big-wave surfer wakes up from coma - Sep 06, 2012
- Shark Attacks: More Reasons To Avoid The Beach On Sunday - May 28, 2010
Tags: beach goers, chunk, legs, local media, lucky escape, minor scratches, national parks and wildlife, o clock, ordeal, parks and wildlife, shark attack, sharks, stephen king, surf session, surfboard, surfers, sydney, warning signs, yamba