Suicide bomber kills 45, injuries 150 at Iraqi recruiting centerJanuary 18th, 2011 - 10:18 pm ICT by BNO News
TIKRIT, IRAQ (BNO NEWS) — A suicide bomber on Tuesday killed at least 45 people and injured 150 others at a recruiting center in northern Iraq, local media reported.
The terrorist attack took place at around 10.15 a.m. local time at a police recruitment center in Tikrit, about 175 kilometers (108 miles) north of Baghdad, according to the Aswat al-Iraq news agency. The explosion occurred among a crowd of police recruits.
“The Salah al-Din educational hospital received 45 bodies and 150 wounded persons as a result of the suicide explosion that targeted a police recruitment center in central Tikrit,” a source told Aswat al-Iraq news agency, adding: “Security forces launched a crackdown operation around the scene in central Tikrit to hunt down wanted men.”
According to other reports, the police recruits had been queuing to enter the center for hours when an attacker appeared suddenly and detonated himself at the entrance of the building.
Most of the victims were police officers or police recruits. So far, no group has claimed responsibility for the attack, which was the deadliest since October 31, 2010, and the first since the formation of the new government on December 21.
In October, a siege at a Baghdad church left 53 dead and around 70 others wounded, causing global outrage. The attack took place when a group of gunmen attacked a Catholic church with an explosive device planted in a vest.
The Islamic State of Iraq (ISI) were responsible for the attack as they have demanded the release of alleged female prisoners from Iraqi and Egyptian custody. The attack was condemned by the international community, including the United Nations.
- Suicide bombings kill at least ten people in central Iraq - Jan 20, 2011
- 13 killed, 74 injured in series of blasts in Baghdad - May 22, 2011
- Eight killed, 33 hurt in Iraq attacks (Night Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- Anti-terror official killed in Iraq blast - Sep 07, 2012
- Two dead in clashes between Iraqi and Kurdish forces in northern Iraq - Apr 25, 2011
- Seven killed, 33 injured in three blasts in Iraq (Lead) - Sep 05, 2010
- 63 killed in Iraq as violence escalates - Aug 15, 2011
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Car bombs rock Iraqi city of Karbala, 12 dead, 150 wounded - Jan 24, 2011
- Six killed, 19 injured in Iraq attacks - Jul 07, 2010
- Suicide car bomb in Iraq kills three securitymen - Jun 06, 2011
- 27 killed, 71 hurt in Iraq attacks - May 22, 2010
- Iraqi oil refinery shut down after gunmen attack - Feb 26, 2011
- Gunmen kill family of seven in northern Iraq - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: adding security, aswat al iraq, attacker, bno, crackdown, explosive device, female prisoners, gunmen, iraq news, islamic state of iraq, local media, northern iraq, police recruitment, police recruits, recruiting center, recruitment center, salah al din, security forces, suicide bomber, wanted men