Strong quake strikes the South Pacific Ocean, no tsunami alertMarch 31st, 2011 - 2:45 pm ICT by BNO News
WAILAGI LALA, FIJI (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck the South Pacific Ocean on early Thursday afternoon, not far from an island part of Fiji, seismologists said. No tsunami warnings were issued.
The 6.4-magnitude earthquake at 12.11 p.m. local time (0011 GMT) was centered about 130 kilometers (80 miles) east of Wailagi Lala, the northernmost outpost of Fiji’s Lau Islands with no known population. It struck about 23.7 kilometers (14.7 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).
The USGS estimated that 2,000 to 3,000 people in the region may have noticed weak to light shaking, but said no damage was to be expected. “There is a low likelihood of casualties and damage,” the agency said.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center did not issue a tsunami warning.
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, no tsunami warning - Jan 29, 2012
- Tsunami warnings issued following powerful quake near Vanuatu - Dec 25, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - Nov 01, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Strongest earthquake in years hits northwest of Norway, no damage - May 25, 2012
- 6.0-magnitude earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon, no damage - Feb 16, 2012
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- 5.9-magnitude earthquake hits off Oregon coast, no damage - Apr 12, 2012
- Strong earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea's New Britain, no reports of damage - Jun 16, 2011
- Powerful 7.6 quake near Vanuatu prompts tsunami warnings - Dec 25, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Powerful quake strikes Alaskan island, tsunami warning canceled - Jun 24, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon, no damage - Oct 13, 2011
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Strong quake hits deep underneath the South Pacific Ocean - Dec 28, 2010
Tags: casualties, kilometers, lau islands, likelihood, local time, magnitude earthquake, outpost, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning center, quake, seismologists, shallow earthquake, south pacific ocean, thursday afternoon, tsunami, tsunami warning center, tsunami warnings, united states geological, united states geological survey, usgs