Strong quake strikes Russia-Mongolia border region, no damageFebruary 27th, 2012 - 12:19 am ICT by BNO News
KYZYL, Russia (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck southwestern Siberia near the border with Mongolia on early Sunday afternoon, seismologists and witnesses said. There were no immediate reports of major damage or injuries.
The 6.7-magnitude earthquake at 1:17 p.m. local time (0617 GMT) was centered about 105 kilometers (65 miles) east of Kyzyl, the capital of the Tuva Republic in Russia. It struck about 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the Geophysical Survey of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Residents near the epicenter in the mountainous region fled their homes in panic, but there were no immediate reports of major damage or injuries. Officials at the Russian Emergencies Ministry said the earthquake caused things to fall from shelves but all damage was believed to be minor.
The United States Geological Survey (USGS) estimated that approximately 4,000 residents near the epicenter may have felt ’severe’ shaking, while another 9,000 people may have experienced ‘very strong’ shaking. Some 222,000 others may have perceived moderate to strong shaking.
In December 2011, a strong 6.6-magnitude earthquake struck the same region and was centered about 96 kilometers (59 miles) east of Kyzyl, according to the USGS. There were no reports of major damage or injuries, but phone services in the region were temporarily overwhelmed.
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no casualties - Oct 29, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off Cuba's coast, no damage - Sep 15, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes Russia's Far East near border with China - Oct 14, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits deep underneath northern Argentina - May 29, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits northern Chile, no damage - Dec 09, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Powerful quake strikes Alaskan island, tsunami warning canceled - Jun 24, 2011
- Strong earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea's New Britain, no reports of damage - Jun 16, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no casualties - Apr 12, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off Tonga, no damage reported - Dec 26, 2011
- Deep 6.8-magnitude earthquake strikes off East Timor; no damage - Aug 30, 2011
- Two strong earthquakes shake Mexican desert in Baja California - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: academy of sciences, bno, border region, emergencies, epicenter, geophysical survey, kilometers, magnitude earthquake, mongolia, mountainous region, russian academy of sciences, seismologists, shallow earthquake, shelves, siberia, sunday afternoon, tuva republic, united states geological, united states geological survey, usgs