Strong quake hits off Southern SumatraJanuary 18th, 2011 - 3:16 am ICT by BNO News
JAKARTA (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck off Southern Sumatra in Indonesia on early Tuesday morning, seismologists said, but there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.
The 6.5-magnitude earthquake at 2.20 a.m. local time (1920 GMT Monday) was centered about 155 kilometers (95 miles) south-southeast of Bengkula on the west coast of Sumatra. It struck about 34.4 kilometers (21.4 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the country’s seismological agency.
The United States Geological Survey (USGS) measured the strength of the earthquake at 5.8 on the Richter scale, considerably weaker than Indonesia’s estimate. The USGS estimated that some 2,000 people could have felt moderate shaking, which would unlikely result in damage.
Indonesia’s seismological agency said there was no threat of a tsunami.
Indonesia is on the so-called ‘Pacific Ring of Fire’, an arc of fault lines circling the Pacific Basin that is prone to frequent and large earthquakes. Volcanic eruptions also occur frequently in the region.
On December 26, 2004, one of the most powerful earthquakes ever recorded struck off the west coast of Sumatra in Indonesia. The 9.1-magnitude earthquake unleashed a deadly tsunami, striking scores of countries. In all, at least 227,898 people were killed.
Most recently, on October 25, a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck just off the Mentawai Islands off the western coast of Sumatra. As a result, a wall of water killed at least 435 people on the islands and impacted more than 20 villages.
- Strong earthquake hits off Indonesia's Sumatra - Jan 26, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes southwest of Sumatra, no damage - Aug 23, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off eastern Indonesia, causing panic - Nov 14, 2011
- Strong earthquake rocks Indonesia's Sulawesi, causes damage - Apr 25, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits the Banda Sea in Indonesia, no damage - Nov 17, 2010
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no tsunami warning - May 16, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, east of Vanuatu - Jul 31, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes western Indonesia, no word on casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Powerful earthquake rocks Indonesian island, tsunami warning canceled - Apr 04, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Powerful earthquake strikes eastern Indonesia - Sep 30, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off the Vanuatu Islands, no damage expected - Jan 09, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, southwest of Vanuatu - May 11, 2011
- Powerful earthquake, small tsunamis hit Indonesia - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: bno, early tuesday, gmt, indonesia, jakarta, kilometers, local time, magnitude earthquake, quake hits, richter scale, seismologists, shallow earthquake, south southeast, southern sumatra, tsunami, tsunami warning, tuesday morning, united states geological, united states geological survey