Strong eruptions from Japan’s Shinmoedake prompts evacuationsFebruary 1st, 2011 - 12:39 pm ICT by BNO News
TOKYO (BNO NEWS) — As Japan’s Mount Kirishima continues its strong eruptions, officials in Takaharu, Miyazaki Prefecture have advised at least 500 households to evacuate as landslides and flying boulders could reach their homes, Japan’s Kyodo news agency reported Monday.
The Miyazaki Local Meteorological Observatory said the lava dome on 1,421-meter (4,662-foot) Shinmoedake peak, which is located in the southwestern region of Japan in its Mount Kirishima, was rising at around midnight Sunday, and it could affect around 1,100 residents.
Meanwhile, the Kagoshima Local Meteorological Observatory said satellite images showed lava dome on Shinmoedake increased from Thursday to Saturday from 100 meters across to about 500 meters, the agency added.
The peak had its first major eruption in 52 years last Wednesday, and as of Monday morning, around 610 people had already relocated into four shelters.
- Volcano erupts in Indonesia - Jul 15, 2011
- Tsunami warnings in effect after major earthquake hits off Japan - Dec 22, 2010
- Japanese volcano erupts, spews smoke 2,000 metres in air (Lead) - Feb 02, 2009
- Typhoon hits Japan's Honshu island - Sep 21, 2011
- Japan quake toll rises to 61 - Mar 11, 2011
- Tsunami warning issued after quake hits Japan (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 10, 2011
- Two fresh eruptions at Indonesia's Mount Lokon - Jul 19, 2011
- Japan launches South Korean satellite - May 18, 2012
- Japan seabed shifted 24 metres after March 11 earthquake - Apr 07, 2011
- Volcano erupts in Japan - Feb 02, 2009
- 6.5 magnitude quake rocks northeastern Japan, tsunami warning lifted - Mar 28, 2011
- Several strong quakes rocks northeastern Japan - Mar 23, 2011
- 15 dead, l43 missing as typhoon ravages Japan - Sep 04, 2011
- Powerful quake strikes off Japan, tsunami warning canceled - Dec 22, 2010
- Radioactive materials' level found 1,250 times higher than legal limit in sea near Fukushima plant - Mar 26, 2011
Tags: bno, boulders, evacuations, households, japan, kirishima, kyodo news agency, landslides, lava dome, major eruption, meteorological observatory, miyazaki prefecture, monday morning, satellite images, southwestern region, tokyo