Strong earthquake strikes the Andreanof Islands in AlaskaSeptember 3rd, 2010 - 6:49 pm ICT by BNO News
ANCHORAGE (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck the Andreanof Islands in Alaska on early Friday, seismologists said, but no tsunami warnings were issued.
The 6.3-magnitude earthquake at 2.16 p.m. local time (1116 GMT) struck about 28 miles (45 kilometers) east-southeast of Adak, a community in the Aleutians West Census Area. It struck approximately 31.6 miles (50.8 kilometers) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).
Adak has only a few residents. In the 2007 census, the island had a population of 263.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center initially measured the strength of the earthquake at 6.5 on the Richter scale, but did not issue a tsunami warning.
- Powerful quake strikes Alaskan island, tsunami warning canceled - Jun 24, 2011
- Strong earthquake prompts brief tsunami warning in Alaska - Sep 02, 2011
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan - Aug 12, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Strong earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea's New Britain, no reports of damage - Jun 16, 2011
- Strong 6.6-magnitude earthquake rocks Vanuatu - Dec 29, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, no tsunami warning - Jan 29, 2012
- Strong quake strikes off eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 22, 2011
- Tsunami warnings issued following powerful quake near Vanuatu - Dec 25, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - Nov 01, 2011
- Powerful quake strikes off the Loyalty Islands; no tsunami threat - Jan 13, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes the Solomon Islands, no tsunami alert - Apr 23, 2011
- Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes, casualties reported - Mar 11, 2011
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes the South Sandwich Islands, no damage - Dec 08, 2010
Tags: adak, alaska anchorage, aleutians west census area, andreanof islands, bno, east southeast, kilometers, local time, magnitude earthquake, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning center, richter scale, seismologists, shallow earthquake, tsunami, tsunami warning center, tsunami warnings, united states geological, united states geological survey, usgs