Strong earthquake strikes southwest of Sumatra, no damageAugust 23rd, 2011 - 6:54 pm ICT by BNO News
JAKARTA (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake stuck southwest of Sumatra in Indonesia on early Tuesday morning, seismologists said, but there were no reports of damage or casualties.
The 6.2-magnitude earthquake at 3.12 a.m. local time (2012 GMT Monday) was centered about 101 kilometers (63 miles) southwest of Bengkunat, a village located in the West Lampung Regency of Lampung province in far southwestern Sumatra. It struck about 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to Indonesia’s seismological agency (BMKG).
The United States Geological Survey (USGS), which measured the earthquake at 6.0 on the Richter scale, estimated that some 900 people along the coast may have felt moderate shaking. It said some 220,000 people could have felt light shaking.
“[The earthquake has] no tsunami potential,” a brief text message from BMKG said, giving no other details. Earthquakes below magnitude 7 do usually not generate tsunamis. There were no reports of damage or casualties.
Indonesia is on the so-called ‘Pacific Ring of Fire’, an arc of fault lines circling the Pacific Basin that is prone to frequent and large earthquakes. Volcanic eruptions also occur frequently in the region.
On December 26, 2004, one of the most powerful earthquakes ever recorded struck off the west coast of Sumatra in Indonesia. The 9.1-magnitude earthquake unleashed a deadly tsunami, striking scores of countries in the region. In all, at least 227,898 people were killed.
And most recently, on October 25, 2010, a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck just off the Mentawai Islands off the western coast of Sumatra. As a result, a wall of water killed at least 435 people on the islands and impacted more than 20 villages.
- Powerful earthquake rocks Indonesian island, tsunami warning canceled - Apr 04, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off eastern Indonesia, causing panic - Nov 14, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes western Indonesia, no word on casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Strong earthquake rocks Indonesia's Sulawesi, causes damage - Apr 25, 2011
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no tsunami warning - May 16, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits off Indonesia's Sumatra - Jan 26, 2011
- Strong quake hits off Southern Sumatra - Jan 18, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, east of Vanuatu - Jul 31, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, southwest of Vanuatu - May 11, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits the Banda Sea in Indonesia, no damage - Nov 17, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off the Vanuatu Islands, no damage expected - Jan 09, 2011
- Powerful earthquake, small tsunamis hit Indonesia - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,