Strong earthquake strikes offshore northern CaliforniaFebruary 5th, 2010 - 3:44 am ICT by BNO News
EUREKA, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck off Humboldt County, California on Thursday afternoon, seismologists said. There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.
The earthquake, which struck about 35 miles west-northwest of the small unincorporated community of Petrolia, had a preliminary magnitude of 6.0 at a depth of 7 miles, making it a shallow earthquake.
Earthquakes with a magnitude between 6.0 and 6.9 on the Richter scale are considered to be “strong” and can be destructive in areas up to 100 miles across in populated areas.
“The magnitude is such that a tsunami is not expected,” the West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center said in a bulletin. “However, in coastal areas of intense shaking, locally generated tsunamis can be triggered by underwater landslides.”
There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties from the earthquake, which happened at 12.20 p.m. local time.
The earthquake happened nearly a month after a much larger earthquake, a magnitude 6.5, struck about 30 miles away. The quake was felt as far as Oregon, and caused widespread damage and minor injuries.
- Strong earthquake shakes Humboldt County, California - Feb 05, 2010
- Strong earthquake shakes offshore northern California - Feb 05, 2010
- No damage after strong earthquake strikes offshore northern California - Feb 05, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan, felt in Tokyo - Nov 30, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no casualties - Oct 29, 2011
- 5.9-magnitude earthquake hits off Oregon coast, no damage - Apr 12, 2012
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan - Aug 12, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - Nov 01, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- 6.0-magnitude earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon, no damage - Feb 16, 2012
- Moderate earthquake hits offshore northern California - Aug 16, 2010
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 01, 2011
- Strong quake strikes off eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 22, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,