Strong earthquake strikes off Cuba’s coast, no damageSeptember 15th, 2011 - 6:36 pm ICT by BNO News
CAPE CRUZ, CUBA (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck off the southeastern coast of Cuba on early Thursday morning, seismologists said, but there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.
The 6.0-magnitude earthquake at 4.43 a.m. local time (0843 GMT) was centered about 50 kilometers (31 miles) southwest of Cape Cruz, a cape in Granma Province. It struck about 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).
While there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties, the USGS estimated that some 151,000 people living along the coast near the epicenter may have felt moderate shaking which could result in very light to light damage. It said casualties were unlikely.
Although the region near Cuba frequently experiences very small earthquakes, strong earthquakes are unusual. In May 1992, 40 people were injured and more than 800 buildings were damaged when a powerful 7.0-magnitude earthquake struck off Cuba’s southeastern coast.
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no casualties - Oct 29, 2011
- Two strong earthquakes shake Mexican desert in Baja California - Apr 12, 2012
- 6.0-magnitude earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon, no damage - Feb 16, 2012
- 5.9-magnitude earthquake hits off Oregon coast, no damage - Apr 12, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - Nov 01, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
- Damage reported after magnitude-7.6 earthquake hits Costa Rica - Sep 05, 2012
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Strong quake shakes northeastern Japan, no damage reported - Mar 31, 2011
- Strong earthquake rocks southeastern Iran, casualties unknown - Dec 21, 2010
- Strong quake strikes off eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 22, 2011
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan - Aug 12, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no tsunami warning - May 16, 2011
Tags: bno, cape cruz, casualties, cuba, earthquake strikes, earthquakes, epicenter, kilometers, local time, magnitude earthquake, seismologists, shallow earthquake, southeastern coast, thursday morning, united states geological, united states geological survey, usgs