Strong earthquake strikes near Papua New Guinea’s second-largest cityApril 18th, 2010 - 3:33 pm ICT by BNO News
PORT MORESBY, PAPUA NEW GUINEA (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck close to Papua New Guinea’s second-largest city on Sunday morning, seismologists said.
The 6.3-magnitude earthquake at 9.15 a.m. local time (23.15 GMT Saturday) was centered about 29 kilometers (18 miles) east of Lae, a city with a population of about 120,000. It struck about 66.2 kilometers (41.1 miles) deep, making it an earthquake with an intermediate depth. Earthquakes that strike closer to the surface are more likely to cause serious damage.
There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties from the earthquake. No tsunami warnings were issued.
- 6.7-magnitude earthquake strikes Papua New Guinea - Mar 22, 2012
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Strong 6.4-magnitude earthquake strikes Papua New Guinea; no tsunami risk - Aug 21, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits deep underneath northern Argentina - May 29, 2012
- Strong 6.3-magnitude earthquakes strike Papua New Guinea - Jul 21, 2010
- Strong earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea's New Britain, no reports of damage - Jun 16, 2011
- Magnitude-7.3 quake jolts Papua New Guinea - Dec 14, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no tsunami warning - May 16, 2011
- Strong earthquakes strike off northeastern New Zealand - Nov 18, 2011
- Two earthquakes rock Papua New Guinea - Jul 18, 2010
- Strongest earthquake in years hits northwest of Norway, no damage - May 25, 2012
- Strong 6.1 quake strikes off the Philippines - Dec 08, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Tonga, no damage reported - Dec 26, 2011
- Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes, casualties reported - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits northern Chile, no damage - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: bno, casualties, closer to the surface, earthquake strikes, earthquakes, gmt, kilometers, local time, magnitude earthquake, papua new guinea, population, port moresby papua new guinea, seismologists, strikes near papua, sunday morning, tsunami, tsunami warnings