Strong earthquake strikes far off Mexico’s Pacific coast, no damageNovember 1st, 2011 - 9:58 pm ICT by BNO News
SOCORRO ISLAND, MEXICO (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck off the Pacific coast of Mexico on early Tuesday morning, seismologists said, but there were no reports of damage or casualties.
The 6.0-magnitude earthquake at 5.32 a.m. local time (1232 GMT) was centered about 227 kilometers (141 miles) northeast of Socorro Island, a small volcanic island in the Revillagigedo Islands, located about 600 kilometers (372 miles) off the country’s western coast. It struck about 5 kilometers (3.1 mile) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the Mexican Seismological Service.
The United States Geological Survey (USGS) measured the strength of the earthquake at 6.3 on the moment magnitude scale (MMS). As the epicenter was far from land, there were no reports of damage or casualties.
No tsunami warning was issued. “No destructive widespread tsunami threat exists based on historical earthquake and tsunami data,” the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said in a bulletin.
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off eastern Indonesia, causing panic - Nov 14, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no casualties - Oct 29, 2011
- Powerful quake strikes Alaskan island, tsunami warning canceled - Jun 24, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- 6.0-magnitude earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon, no damage - Feb 16, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, no tsunami warning - Jan 29, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes western Indonesia, no word on casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Powerful quake off Philippines triggers small tsunami - Aug 31, 2012
- Deep 6.8-magnitude earthquake strikes off East Timor; no damage - Aug 30, 2011
- 5.9-magnitude earthquake hits off Oregon coast, no damage - Apr 12, 2012
- 7.6-magnitude quake strikes Costa Rica, tsunami warnings issued - Sep 05, 2012
- Two strong earthquakes shake Mexican desert in Baja California - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,