Strong earthquake strikes central Australia, no damageMarch 24th, 2012 - 7:41 pm ICT by BNO News
ERNABELLA, Australia (BNO NEWS) — The central region of Australia was struck by the country’s largest earthquake in nearly 15 years on Friday evening, seismologists said, but there were no reports of damage or casualties.
The 6.1-magnitude earthquake at 7:55 p.m. local time (0925 GMT) on Friday was centered about 27.4 kilometers (17 miles) northwest of Ernabella Airport, a tiny airstrip near the border with South Australia and the Northern Territory. It struck about 3 kilometers (1.8 mile) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to Geoscience Australia.
The region near Ernabella is home to hundreds of indigenous Australians, but police said there were no reports of injuries or damage. The United States Geological Survey (USGS), which measured the strength of the earthquake at 5.6 on the body wave magnitude (Mb) scale, estimated that some 5,000 people in the sparsely populated region may have felt the quake.
Friday’s earthquake was the largest to hit mainland Australia since August 1997, when a 6.3-magnitude earthquake was recorded off Collier Bay on West Australia’s far north coast. It was widely felt but no serious damage was reported, and there were no injuries.
- Strongest earthquake in years hits northwest of Norway, no damage - May 25, 2012
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Strong quake strikes Russia-Mongolia border region, no damage - Feb 27, 2012
- Powerful quake strikes Alaskan island, tsunami warning canceled - Jun 24, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits deep underneath northern Argentina - May 29, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off Cuba's coast, no damage - Sep 15, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Colorado's largest earthquake since 1967 damages homes - Aug 23, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits off Norwegian island, no tsunami alert - Jan 29, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits northern Chile, no damage - Dec 09, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan - Aug 12, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no casualties - Oct 29, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off Tonga, no damage reported - Dec 26, 2011
- Strong earthquakes strike off northeastern New Zealand - Nov 18, 2011
Tags: airstrip, august 1997, australians, bno, body wave magnitude, central australia, collier bay, far north coast, friday evening, geoscience australia, largest earthquake, magnitude earthquake, mainland australia, seismologists, shallow earthquake, south australia, united states geological, united states geological survey, usgs, west australia