Strong earthquake shakes Humboldt County, CaliforniaFebruary 5th, 2010 - 3:35 am ICT by BNO News
EUREKA, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck Humboldt County, California on Thursday afternoon, seismologists said.
The earthquake, which struck about 35 miles west-northwest of the small unincorporated community of Petrolia, had a preliminary magnitude of 6.0.
“The magnitude is such that a tsunami is not expected,” the West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center said in a statement. “However, in coastal areas of intense shaking, locally generated tsunamis can be triggered by underwater landslides.”
There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties from the earthquake, which happened at 12.20 p.m. local time.
- Strong earthquake shakes offshore northern California - Feb 05, 2010
- No damage after strong earthquake strikes offshore northern California - Feb 05, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes offshore northern California - Feb 05, 2010
- Major 6.5-magnitude earthquake rocks California; damage reported - Jan 10, 2010
- Moderate earthquake hits offshore northern California - Aug 16, 2010
- Strongest earthquake in years hits northwest of Norway, no damage - May 25, 2012
- Light earthquake shakes southern California, felt in San Diego - Jun 13, 2010
- Light earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon - Apr 09, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan, felt in Tokyo - Nov 30, 2010
- Powerful quake strikes Alaskan island, tsunami warning canceled - Jun 24, 2011
- 6.0-magnitude earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon, no damage - Feb 16, 2012
- 5.9-magnitude earthquake hits off Oregon coast, no damage - Apr 12, 2012
- Light earthquake rattles central California; no damage reported - Apr 08, 2010
- Strong earthquake shakes California-Mexico border - Dec 31, 2009
- Strong earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon, no damage - Oct 13, 2011
Tags: alaska tsunami warning, alaska tsunami warning center, bno, casualties, coastal areas, earthquake, eureka california, humboldt county california, local time, magnitude, seismologists, thursday afternoon, tsunami, tsunami warning center, underwater landslides, unincorporated community, west coast and alaska tsunami warning center, west northwest