Strong earthquake hits western Japan, unrelated to major 8.9 joltMarch 12th, 2011 - 3:15 am ICT by BNO News
TOKYO (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck western Japan on early Saturday morning, seismologists said, but the earthquake was not an aftershock to Friday’s massive jolt that devastated the country.
The 6.6-magnitude earthquake at 03.59 a.m. local time (1859 GMT Friday) was centered in Niigata Prefecture in northern Japan, causing buildings as far away as in Tokyo to sway. It was centered about 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, ccording to the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA).
A seismologist at the United States Geological Survey said the earthquake was not an aftershock to the massive 8.9-magnitude earthquake that struck off northeastern Japan on Friday, unleashing a huge tsunami that devastated the nation. He could not say if the earthquake was triggered by the 8.9 quake, however.
Soon after the earthquake, a strong 5.8-magnitude aftershock jolted western Japan. It was later followed by a 6.4 quake off the northwestern coast of Japan.
No new tsunami warnings were issued as a result of the new earthquake, and it could not be determined if the quake caused new casualties in the tsunami-hit region.
- Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes, casualties reported - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
- Strong quake strikes off eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 22, 2011
- Strong quake jolts northeastern Japan, no tsunami threat - Mar 29, 2011
- Massive earthquake rocks Japan, tsunami warnings issued - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong quake shakes northeastern Japan, no damage reported - Mar 31, 2011
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan - Aug 12, 2011
- Tsunami to hit US west coast, Alaska - Mar 11, 2011
- Two strong aftershocks rock Japan minutes apart - Mar 15, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan, felt in Tokyo - Nov 30, 2010
- Tsunamis in the past 10 years - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 01, 2011
- Strong 6.5-magnitude quake hits off Japan's Bonin Islands - Dec 23, 2010
- At least 91 dead, scores missing after quake, tsunamis devastate Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Fire breaks out at Japan's n-power plant after quake - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: bno, casualties, japan meteorological agency, jolt, kilometers, magnitude aftershock, magnitude earthquake, new tsunami warnings, northeastern japan, northern japan, northwestern coast, prefecture, quake, saturday morning, seismologist, seismologists, shallow earthquake, united states geological, united states geological survey, western japan