Strong earthquake hits off Japan’s Ryukyu Islands, small tsunami recordedFebruary 27th, 2010 - 4:29 am ICT by BNO News
TOKYO (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck off Japan’s Ryukyu Islands on Saturday, seismologists said, creating a small tsunami. There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.
The earthquake, which had a preliminary magnitude of 6.9, was centered about 53 miles east of Naha on Okinawa Island, which is part of the Ryukyu Islands, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency. It struck at a depth of 6 miles, making it a shallow earthquake.
The United States Geological Survey had a 7.0-magnitude for the earthquake, which struck at 5.31 a.m. local time..
A tsunami warning was immediately issued by the Japan Meteorological Agency for Okinawa Island, although there were no fears for a major tsunami. “Evacuate from the seashore immediately to the safe places near the above coasts,” a warning read. It said tsunami waves up to two meters could be expected.
Meanwhile, a tsunami advisory has also been issued for the Amami Islands and the Tokara Islands. A tsunami advisory means a tsunami of up to 0.5 meters is expected.
At 5.57 a.m. local time, Japan’s Meteorological Agency recorded a 10 cm tsunami in Okinawa’s Nanjo-shi Azama city. There were no reports of damage. A smaller tsunami was also recorded in Minami-daito-gyoko.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center did not issue a tsunami warning after the earthquake. “No destructive widespread tsunami threat exists based on historical earthquake and tsunami data,” a bulletin read. “However - earthquakes of this size sometimes generate local tsunamis that can be destructive along coasts located within a hundred kilometers of the earthquake epicenter.”
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan's Ryukyu Islands, local tsunami warning issued (Update) - Feb 27, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan, local tsunami warning issued - Feb 27, 2010
- Strong quake jolts Japan's Ryukyu Islands - May 26, 2010
- Tsunami warnings in effect after major earthquake hits off Japan - Dec 22, 2010
- Japan issues tsunami warning for islands after powerful earthquake - Dec 22, 2010
- Major earthquake strikes off Japan, tsunami warning issued (Update) - Feb 27, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes southeast of Japan's Ryukyu Islands - May 26, 2010
- Tsunami alert after strong earthquake strikes off Japan's Miyako Islands (Update) - Oct 04, 2010
- Powerful quake strikes off Japan, tsunami warning canceled - Dec 22, 2010
- Tsunami alert canceled after strong quake hits off Japan's Miyako Islands - Oct 04, 2010
- Major earthquake strikes off Japan, tsunami warning issued - Feb 27, 2010
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Strong 6.5-magnitude earthquake hits southeast of Taiwan, no damage reported - Apr 26, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan, felt in Tokyo - Nov 30, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: amami islands, azama, bno, daito, earthquake epicenter, earthquake hits, japan meteorological agency, okinawa island, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning center, ryukyu islands, seismologists, shallow earthquake, time japan, tokara, tsunami data, tsunami threat, tsunami warning center, tsunami waves, united states geological survey