Strong earthquake hits off Indonesia, no tsunami warningFebruary 16th, 2010 - 5:10 am ICT by BNO News
BANDA SEA (BNO NEWS) — A strong but deep earthquake struck off Indonesia on Tuesday morning, seismologists said. There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.
The earthquake, which had a preliminary magnitude of at least 6.2, was centered in the Kepulauan Baray Daya region of Indonesia, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS). It struck about 79.5 miles deep, making it a deep earthquake.
The Badan Meteorologi Klimatologi Dan Geofisika, Indonesia’s national earthquake center, initially reported the earthquake as a much stronger 6.8-magnitude.
No tsunami warnings were issued following the earthquake.
- Strong earthquake strikes near Indonesia's Talaud Islands - May 07, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits off Indonesia - Feb 16, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Indonesia's Sumatra - May 06, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits off Indonesia's Java province - Feb 12, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits Indonesia's Sumbawa island - May 08, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- Tsunami fears ease after powerful earthquake off Northern Sumatra - May 09, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits off Sumatra - Jul 27, 2009
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Powerful earthquake strikes far below the Celebes Sea - Oct 08, 2009
- Strong earthquake hits the Banda Sea in Indonesia, no damage - Nov 17, 2010
- Huge quake off Indonesia prompts tsunami warnings - Apr 11, 2012
- Powerful earthquake strikes eastern Indonesia - Sep 30, 2010
- Strong quake shakes northeastern Japan, no damage reported - Mar 31, 2011
Tags: badan meteorologi, bno, casualties, earthquake center, earthquake hits, geofisika, indonesia, klimatologi, magnitude, national earthquake, seismologists, tsunami, tsunami warning, tsunami warnings, tuesday morning, united states geological, united states geological survey