Strong earthquake hits off Argentina, no tsunami threatJanuary 17th, 2010 - 7:41 pm ICT by BNO News
USHUAIA, ARGENTINA (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck the Drake Passage off Argentina on Sunday morning, seismologists said.
The earthquake, which had a preliminary magnitude of 6.3 on the Richter scale, struck about 220 miles off Ushuaia, the capital of the Argentine province of Tierra del Fuego. The epicenter of the earthquake was located about 6 miles deep, making it a very shallow earthquake. Shallow earthquakes often tend to cause more damage and raise the potential of a tsunami.
However, the magnitude of Sunday’s earthquake was such that there was no tsunami potential, and none of the tsunami warning centers issued a watch or warning. No damage was expected either as it was located too far from land.
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Tsunami warnings issued following powerful quake near Vanuatu - Dec 25, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - Nov 01, 2011
- Powerful quake off Philippines triggers small tsunami - Aug 31, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes southeast of Japan's Ryukyu Islands - May 26, 2010
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan - Aug 12, 2011
- Powerful quake rocks northern Japan, no casualties - Mar 09, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes southwest of Sumatra, no damage - Aug 23, 2011
- Powerful earthquakes hit Papua New Guinea, spark tsunami warning for Indonesia - Jul 18, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes western Indonesia, no word on casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- 7.9-magnitude quake strikes Costa Rica, tsunami warnings issued - Sep 05, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, no tsunami warning - Jan 29, 2012
- 6.0-magnitude earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon, no damage - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,