Strong earthquake felt in Guatemala, El Salvador and HondurasJanuary 18th, 2010 - 11:19 pm ICT by BNO News
SAN SALVADOR (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck off the coast of Guatemala and El Salvador on Monday morning, seismologists said. There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.
The earthquake, which had a preliminary magnitude of 6.0, struck about 24 miles west-southwest of Ahuachapan in El Salvador. In the country’s capital, San Salvador, people fled out of their homes and into the street.
Shaking was reported in Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras, but there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.
The quake, which happened at 9.40 a.m. local time, was centered about 64 miles deep, making it a fairly deep earthquake.
The magnitude of the earthquake was such that there was no potential of a tsunami.
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Moderate earthquake hits off the coast of British Columbia - Jul 20, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Moderate earthquake rattles southwest Pakistan, destroys homes - Aug 10, 2011
- Strong quake hits deep underneath the South Pacific Ocean - Dec 28, 2010
- Strong 6.2-magnitude earthquake strikes off Costa Rica - May 21, 2010
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no casualties - Oct 29, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes western Indonesia, no word on casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Two light earthquakes rattle Mexico - U.S. border - May 23, 2010
- Strong quake strikes off eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 22, 2011
- Strong quake jolts northeastern Japan, no tsunami threat - Mar 29, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off Tonga, no damage reported - Dec 26, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,