Strong 6.5-magnitude earthquake hits southeast of Taiwan, no damage reportedApril 26th, 2010 - 2:10 pm ICT by BNO News
TAIPEI (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck southeast of Taiwan and south of Japan’s Ryukyu Islands on Monday, seismologists said. There were no reports of damage or casualties and no tsunami warnings were issued.
The 6.5-magnitude earthquake at 10.59 a.m. local time was centered about 245 kilometers (150 miles) south-southwest of Japan’s Ryukyu Islands. It struck about 22 kilometers (13.7 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
The earthquake was reportedly felt in southern Japan and in Taiwan, where buildings swayed in Taipei, the capital, but there were no immediate reports of casualties or damage, according to the state-run CNA newswire service.
The USGS initially measured the strength of the earthquake at 6.9 on the Richter scale. The Taiwan Weather Bureay measured the strength at 6.6.
Both the Japan Meteorological Agency and the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said there was no danger of a tsunami following the earthquake. “No destructive widespread tsunami threat exist based on historical earthquake and tsunami data,” a bulletin from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center read.
Taiwan is often struck by powerful earthquakes as it is located in the so-called “Pacific Ring of Fire”. The island was hit in September 20, 1999 by a 7.6-magnitude quake that caused 2,400 fatalities.
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - Nov 01, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes southeast of Japan's Ryukyu Islands - May 26, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, no tsunami warning - Jan 29, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no casualties - Oct 29, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off Tonga, no damage reported - Dec 26, 2011
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 01, 2011
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan - Aug 12, 2011
- Tsunami alert after strong earthquake strikes off Japan's Miyako Islands (Update) - Oct 04, 2010
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no tsunami warning - May 16, 2011
- Deep 6.8-magnitude earthquake strikes off East Timor; no damage - Aug 30, 2011
- Powerful quake off Philippines triggers small tsunami - Aug 31, 2012
- Powerful quake strikes Alaskan island, tsunami warning canceled - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: japan meteorological agency, magnitude earthquake, magnitude quake, newswire service, pacific ring of fire, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning center, powerful earthquakes, richter scale, ryukyu islands, seismologists, shallow earthquake, south southwest, southern japan, taiwan weather, tsunami data, tsunami threat, tsunami warning center, tsunami warnings, u s geological survey