Strong 6.2-magnitude earthquake hits off the Vanuatu IslandsSeptember 8th, 2010 - 7:21 pm ICT by BNO News
PORT VILA, VANUATU (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck off the island nation of Vanuatu in the South Pacific Ocean on late Wednesday evening, seismologists said, but there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.
The 6.2-magnitude earthquake at 10.37 p.m. local time (1137 GMT) was centered about 142 kilometers (88 miles) south-southeast of Isangel, a city on the island of Tanna in Vanuatu. It struck about 54.1 kilometers (33.6 miles) deep, making it a fairly strong earthquake, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).
The agency estimated that approximately 700 people likely perceived moderate earthquake shaking as a result of the earthquake, which could potentially result in very light to light damage depending on structures. “The population in this region resides in structures that are vulnerable to earthquake shaking, though some resistant structures exist,” the USGS said.
The USGS further estimated that approximately 25,000 people likely perceived light shaking, while 29,000 others possibly felt weak shaking that would unlikely result in damage.
There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties from the earthquake, and the tremor was not strong enough to generate a tsunami.
On January 2, 2002, a powerful 7.2-magnitude earthquake struck approximately 395 kilometers (245 miles) northwest of Wednesday’s earthquake. At least two people were reported injured in the 2002 earthquake that destroyed two bridges and several buildings.
A tsunami was also generated after the earthquake in 2002 but did not cause significant flooding due to the extremely low tide at the time.
- Strong earthquake strikes off the Vanuatu Islands, no damage expected - Jan 09, 2011
- Strong 6.6-magnitude earthquake rocks Vanuatu - Dec 29, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, southwest of Vanuatu - May 11, 2011
- Tsunami waves observed after powerful Vanuatu quake, warnings canceled - Dec 25, 2010
- Powerful 7.6 quake near Vanuatu prompts tsunami warnings - Dec 25, 2010
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Strong quake hits deep underneath the South Pacific Ocean - Dec 28, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, east of Vanuatu - Jul 31, 2011
- Strong earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea's New Britain, no reports of damage - Jun 16, 2011
- Powerful earthquakes hit Papua New Guinea, spark tsunami warning for Indonesia - Jul 18, 2010
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Moderate earthquake rattles southeastern the Philippines, no damage - Dec 08, 2010
- Powerful earthquakes strike Papua New Guinea, tsunami warning canceled - Jul 18, 2010
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Moderate earthquake jolts Japan's Honshu island - Sep 29, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,