Stressed army veteran Sgt. John M. Russell kills five at Baghdad clinicMay 13th, 2009 - 4:23 am ICT by John Le Fevre
By John Le Fevre
A 44-year-old US Army Sergeant from Sherman, Texas is in custody at Camp Liberty in Baghdad after shooting dead five US servicemen at a combat stress clinic on Monday.
Sergeant John Russell, a member of the 54th Engineering Battalion based in Bramberg, Germany, was disarmed and escorted to the stress clinic early Monday morning but argued with staff and was asked to leave.
It’s not yet clear how the soldier, who was near to completing his third tour of duty in Iraq and has previously served in Bosnia and Kosovo, managed to obtain his escort’s weapon before returning to clinic and beginning a shooting spree that resulted in the death of an Army doctor, a Navy doctor and three enlisted personnel.
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, said the incident highlighted the need for more help for soldiers dealing with multiple deployments.
Combat stress is an increasing problem in the US military whose resources have been stretched thin over many years fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan resulting in many soldiers completing up to five tours of duty.
The continued redeployment of combat seasoned soldiers is also blamed for almost 150 soldiers suiciding last year.
US President Barrack Obama said he is deeply shocked and saddened by the killings, which followed a similar incident last September when a soldier killed two of his superiors at a base south of Baghdad and another incident in which two officers were killed in Kuwait in 2003.
- Suspect in Afghan killings claims memory loss: Report - Mar 20, 2012
- US soldier dies in non-combat incident in Iraq - Jul 19, 2011
- Seven killed in Iraq violence - Aug 08, 2012
- US identifies soldier involved in Afghan shooting-spree - Mar 17, 2012
- Shooting rampage: US soldier moved out of Afghanistan - Mar 15, 2012
- Four killed in Iraq attacks - Aug 04, 2011
- 63 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Tens of thousands protest in Baghdad to demand U.S. troops to leave - May 27, 2011
- US soldier killed in Iraq - Nov 16, 2011
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- Three killed, nine injured in Iraq - Apr 30, 2012
- U.S. officially ends nearly nine-year-long war in Iraq - Dec 15, 2011
- Two U.S. soldiers die in non-combat-related incidents in Iraq - May 04, 2010
- Taliban vows to avenge US soldier's shooting - Mar 12, 2012
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: admiral mike mullen, army doctor, army sergeant, army veteran, barrack obama, camp liberty, chairman of the joint chiefs, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, chiefs of staff, combat stress, early monday morning, fighting in iraq, john russell, joint chiefs of staff, navy doctor, redeployment, sherman texas, shooting spree, stress clinic, tours of duty