Stong earthquake hits off the coast of Kamchatka, RussiaJuly 30th, 2010 - 4:32 pm ICT by BNO News
PETROPAVLOVSK-KAMCHATSKY, RUSSIA (BNO NEWS) — A strong earthquake struck off the coast of eastern Russia on late Friday afternoon, seismologists said, but there were no reports of damage or casualties.
The 6.2-magnitude earthquake at 3.56 p.m. local time (0356 GMT) was centered about 100 kilometers (65 miles) east-southeast of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, the main city Kamchatka Krai. It struck approximately 21 kilometers (13 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).
The agency estimated that approximately 219,000 people likely perceived moderate shaking as a result of the earthquake, which could potentially result in very light to light damage. It further estimated that another 62,000 people likely perceived light shaking.
There were no reports of damage or casualties.
On February 28, 1973, a powerful 7.2-magnitude earthquake struck approximately 322 kilometers (200 miles) southwest of Friday’s earthquake, producing tsunami waves of up to 1.5 meters (4.9 feet). No fatalities were reported.
And on June 8, 1993, a powerful 7.5-magnitude earthquake struck approximately 210 kilometers (130 miles) southwest of Friday’s earthquake, with no reported fatalities.
- Moderate earthquake jolts Japan's Honshu island - Sep 29, 2010
- Powerful quake strikes Alaskan island, tsunami warning canceled - Jun 24, 2011
- Strong earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea's New Britain, no reports of damage - Jun 16, 2011
- Death toll rises to 42 after quake rocks Myanmar, neighboring countries - Mar 25, 2011
- Strong quake strikes Russia-Mongolia border region, no damage - Feb 27, 2012
- Light earthquake rattles San Francisco - Jul 24, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Cuba's coast, no damage - Sep 15, 2011
- At least 11 dead after powerful earthquake rocks Myanmar, surrounding countries - Mar 25, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no casualties - Oct 29, 2011
- Powerful earthquakes hit Papua New Guinea, spark tsunami warning for Indonesia - Jul 18, 2010
- World's 7-billionth child is Russian - Oct 31, 2011
- Strong 6.2-magnitude earthquake hits off the Vanuatu Islands - Sep 08, 2010
- Passenger plane crashes in Russia's Far East, killing 10 - Sep 13, 2012
- Strong quake shakes northeastern Japan, no damage reported - Mar 31, 2011
- Strongest earthquake in years hits northwest of Norway, no damage - May 25, 2012
Tags: bno, casualties, east southeast, eastern russia, friday afternoon, kamchatka russia, kilometers, local time, magnitude earthquake, petropavlovsk kamchatsky, seismologists, shallow earthquake, tsunami, tsunami waves, united states geological, united states geological survey