Statue of Ramses II, one of ancient Egypt’s most powerful pharaohs found!!September 25th, 2008 - 12:24 am ICT by David M N James
A granite statue associated with the pharaoh era of Egypt has been discovered today.
Egyptian archaeologists discovered the granite statue which draws out the head of Ramses II, one of ancient Egypt’s most powerful pharaohs. The great discovery came today and was made public through the country’s culture ministry. The team of researchers discovered the statue which is 150 cm equivalent to five feet under ground in the eastern Nile Delta town of Tell Basta, which was later the capital of ancient Egypt.
The piece is pink in color. It has a broken nose and a missing beard. The statement on the discovery was announced by Zahi Hawass, who is the head of Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities.
Reports point out that the team of archaeologists is still digging around the site so as to find the rest of the statue and also the remains of a temple built by Ramses.
Ramses, ranks as one of Egypt’s longest-serving pharaohs. He was ruler of Egypt between 1279 BC and 1213 BC. Rameses built palaces and temples throughout Egypt, including the famous Abu Simbel temple in the far south. He is mentioned in books and even the Bible as a feared and great ruler of Egypt.
- Attempt to steal pharaoh's statue foiled in Egypt - Feb 25, 2011
- Archaeologists find ancient statue of Ramses II in Egypt - Sep 25, 2008
- Discovery in Saudi Arabia suggests Egyptian empire extended further than thought - Nov 12, 2010
- Egypt Ramesses II temple found in Upper Egypt - Jul 16, 2010
- Statue of King Tut's grandfather unearthed - Nov 07, 2010
- First pharaoh-era relic found in Saudi Arabia - Nov 08, 2010
- Temple of Tut's grandad could be home to ancient statues - May 18, 2010
- Swiss museum to return 4,000-year-old relic to Egypt - May 13, 2011
- Statue of Tutankhamun's grandfather found - Oct 04, 2010
- Statue fragments of King Tut's grandparents unearthed - Jan 11, 2011
- 2,000-year-old temple dedicated to cat god found in Egypt - Jan 20, 2010
- Sphinx-lined road unearthed in Egypt - Nov 16, 2010
- Largest known statue of Pharaoh Ramses II being uncovered in Egypt - Dec 15, 2008
- Headless granite statue of ancient Egypt king discovered - May 05, 2010
- Remains of church, 'nilometer' discovered on Egypt's Avenue of Sphinxes - May 12, 2010
Tags: abu simbel temple, beard, bible, broken nose, capital of ancient egypt, culture ministry, delta town, discovery, eastern nile delta, egyptian archaeologists, five feet, granite statue, hawass, palaces, pharaoh, pharaohs, ruler, statue of ramses ii, supreme council of antiquities, temples